Thread: Cat-Proof Terrarium?

FireBellied

Default Cat-Proof Terrarium?

I want to get a couple Fire Bellied Toads and a few Fire Bellied Newts, in two separate tanks of course. I've done extensive research on both species. But i have a cat. You know the problems this presents, especially since fire bellied toads and fire bellied newts are toxic to animals. I'm not worried about the amphibians escaping, i'm worried about the cat getting to them. Knowing her, she will most likely get on top of the screen lid, even if the terrarium/aquarium is set on a high shelf or dresser. She will then cause stress to the frogs and newts, or worse, find a way to get to them.

So what is the best precautionary solution for this? I've heard of using a mesh screen lid or using screen lid clips available at pet stores. I know amphibians need a lid that allows ventilation, but i don't know what you could do to make it secure enough to be cat-proof.

I thought of having a wood shelf made for the terrariums that provides a cover about two inches above the screen lid, or maybe a few inches higher so i could fit a fluorescent light source. And the shelf would have hinges so you can lift up the board that's covering the screen lid for access to the terrarium. This would prevent the cat from getting on the screen lid. But i don't know if i could obtain such a shelf with the proper dimensions. Any input or ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

maxQ

Default Cat-Proof Terrarium?

I use a screen also but the only issue i see with a wood shelf that close to the screen is it may inhibit proper ventilation.

Using Tapatalk

Default Re: Cat-Proof Terrarium?

Especially with a warm light on top, my cats love to sleep on my vivariums. A spray bottle has mostly taught the cats not to harass the frogs. Front opening tanks with lids made out of perforated sheet metal for ventilation are my solution to withstand the sleeping. I believe that exo-terra makes a low and long front opening tank that might be suitable.

A shelf system would work as well, but I'd still want front opening tanks, and you may need a small fan or two to improve circulation especially if you have an enclosed light source.

mommyof4froglovers

Default Re: Cat-Proof Terrarium?

My cat leaves the frogs alone. She does not however leave my son's lizard alone. I have taught my cat not to get on the tops of my tables by flicking her nose. I only had to do it a few times. She never climbs on my tanks, tables or counters anymore and even leaves my fish alone. The few times my escape artist frog got loose she followed him around but never tried to eat him. I am very glad of that considering I have heard whites tree frogs can be toxic to dogs and cats. The clamps that go on the lid have been a life saver. Frogger never excapes anymore.

Thread Information