Thread: Problems

Danielle01

Default Problems

Hey everybody,
    ok so I had to buy small crickets today because PetSmart was out of large and any ways Chubbs showed interest and what I usually do it take out all of his fake plants that way the crickets don't hide in them. But after he ate some he started to poop which is fine but anyways after he did he started to act funny. Hopping all over and I have him in a twenty long tank two and a half inches of eco earth and his temps are at 80 during day and 75 at night and humidity are at 80 to 85. I do mist his cage twice a day if needed more and I use reptisafe water conditioner I don't handle him unless I am taking him out and put him in his large critter tote while I clean out his tank and I don't directly spray him. I also gave him a warm soak yesterday and wondered if that had anything to do with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle01 View Post
    Hey everybody,
    ok so I had to buy small crickets today because PetSmart was out of large and any ways Chubbs showed interest and what I usually do it take out all of his fake plants that way the crickets don't hide in them. But after he ate some he started to poop which is fine but anyways after he did he started to act funny. Hopping all over and I have him in a twenty long tank two and a half inches of eco earth and his temps are at 80 during day and 75 at night and humidity are at 80 to 85. I do mist his cage twice a day if needed more and I use reptisafe water conditioner I don't handle him unless I am taking him out and put him in his large critter tote while I clean out his tank and I don't directly spray him. I also gave him a warm soak yesterday and wondered if that had anything to do with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    No. They really don't like their own waste and will throw a fit about it. Sometimes after their tank airs out they calm down. Isn't that unusual for them to go a little nuts after having defecated.

Did it look normal?

Danielle01

Yeah it was a lot three good sized one and all normal. Right now he is facing the glass wall of his terrarium not burrowed. I hope he calms down. The only time I see him behave like this is when I put him back in his cage after I clean it and he stops and goes back to his burrowing self in a few minutes. Should I clean out his cage entirely. I cleaned it out last week I usually do it once every other week.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah it was a lot three good sized one and all normal. Right now he is facing the glass wall of his terrarium not burrowed. I hope he calms down. The only time I see him behave like this is when I put him back in his cage after I clean it and he stops and goes back to his burrowing self in a few minutes. Should I clean out his cage entirely. I cleaned it out last week I usually do it once every other week.
    Do you dechlorinate his water?

Danielle01

Yes I use reptisafe water conditioner

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes I use reptisafe water conditioner
    Don't pull the plants out anymore. When feeding leave everything as is. Teach him to eat from tongs.

Danielle01

Ok i will i have fed him with tongs a few times and he goes for it he actually calmed down and burrowed/buried himself and I collected all of the left over crickets and will try feeding him tomorrow. If you don't mind me asking why shouldn't I take his plants out I thought taking them out benefits him since they hide in the plants. Just wondering.

Nationality
    [United States]

Removing plants is an abrupt change that stresses frog. Would bring humidity down between 70-80% .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok i will i have fed him with tongs a few times and he goes for it he actually calmed down and burrowed/buried himself and I collected all of the left over crickets and will try feeding him tomorrow. If you don't mind me asking why shouldn't I take his plants out I thought taking them out benefits him since they hide in the plants. Just wondering.
    Carlos is correct. These frogs don't like change and it most likely freaked him out.

11. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Danielle01

Ok thanks for the advice. Didn't know that taking his plants out would stress him out. I will leave them in for now on. How do I make sure he is eating his crickets because sometimes it is hard for even me to catch them. Also any advice on feeding him nightcrawlers because I would love if he would take those instead of nightcrawlers since I saw crickets biting him when I put them in I stopped them of course I just feel that night crawlers would be the better and safer food item for Chubbs.

Danielle01

Meant to say would love if he he would take night crawlers instead of crickets.

Nationality
    [United States]

Meant to say would love if he he would take night crawlers instead of crickets.
    How big s he exactly?

Danielle01

He is four to four and a half inches sub adult.

Danielle01

I was also wondering do you think a twenty gallon long tank is too big for him was wondering if I should just put him in a ten gallon instead.

Thread Information