Thread: Pac man needs?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Pac man needs?

I am planning to get a frog but I do not know what kind, My store carries two species ... green tree frogs and pacman frogs. Very different species I know.

What are the essentials for a pac man frog? I saw the care sheet but I just need a list of essentials.

Also whats it like owning a pac man frog?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Pac man needs?

The care sheet really does cover the essentials, but. . .

-a container to house your frog, most commonly a terrarium.
    -dirt for it to burrow, coconut coir is very commonly used.
    -heat lamp to keep it at proper temps.
    -a means to keep up the humidity, either spray bottle, fogger, or mister.
    -accurate gauges to monitor both the heat and humidity.
    -water bowl, because they occasionally want to soak.
    -decor to make them feel safe
    -water treatment, or source of spring water, can't use straight tap or distilled, both are bad for the frog.
    -food source, they eat a lot.
    -calcium and vitamin powder, which needs to be added to the food source per the care sheet recommendations.

Can anyone else think of anything I missed?

As for owning them, they are great, and don't take a whole lot of time. They do funny things and make interesting expressions, at least as much as a frog can. Most of the time they just sit in one spot, so they are particularly exciting. If you do end up with a male though he may 'talk' to you on a regular basis.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The eating a lot kinda has me worried.

I have a spray bottle, a tank, I would be using eco earth, and I have the calcium with D3 ... So I would not need to buy much.

The other thing is .... I do not touch amphibians. Would this ever be a problem with them?

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I saw you asked similar question in tree frog section and want to see which one would be better fit for you. So i will run down some about both. None of amphibians like to be touched by the way.
    If you like cute and easy, go for american green tree frog that you said they have in store. Downside of this - you need a forest looking bigger sized tank with vertical space. You can also go all out and make naturalistic vivarium for him. So you will have cute and pretty. These frogs are not as demanding as pacman frogs, but still you will have to provide proper environment.

Pacman frogs are different kind of cute, most are aggressive eaters and you need to keep respectable distance while from their mouthes lol these frogs require complete substrate change once a month, temps and humidity has to be always spot on, feeding and supplements while frog is growing as well has to be spot on. Pacman fogs sometimes are called rock pets, they will sit in one spot and wait for food, they grow big and fat tree frogs will be active at night, for pacman frog you need smaller tank, you will not be able to keep 2 pacman frogs in one tank, but you can keep multiple tree frogs together provided they are similar size and same species.

If you say you have a tank - what tank do you have, because it may be suitable for one or another, but cant be for both
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Its a 10 gallon ... it can be suitable for either ... flip it vertically for the tree frog and leave it normal for the pac man.

I am no stranger to supplements complicated diets etc. I have a dog with a sensitive stomach and issues keeping on weight, a cat who is overweight but picky, two turtles, Both need calcium, veggies, protein snacks. So keeping up with needs isnt very difficult for me

I would prefer something ... Less likely to escape lol. tree frogs are fast and that worries me. Aggressive eaters don't phase me, I am very careful about my fingers, I grew up with aggressive fish, tarantulas, a dog with temper issues. I am very aware of where my body is at all times.

How much do pacman frogs eat?

If they need high humidity why do I need a screen top? Cant I use a fish tank top with incandescent bulbs ... that would keep humidity and temp where they should be I think.

i know no amphibians like to or should usually be touched, but I know some animals require health checks regularly and such.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

side note ... I do have a 20 long it will be upgraded to if needed.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Not frogs, but you might need vet if something will come up. With frogs ( and with any animal too) you need to look for it well being, if eats properly, looks good, no worries or check ups other vets right now would probably kill me lol well with cats/dogs you need vaccinations, but other then that.... Nope. They will also need dentals once in a very while, but that would be it.

Anyhow. Yes 10 gal would work for both, but a baby pacman you will need to minimize the space, 10 gal is too. I0 gal is too big for a baby, but ok for adult.

Pacman frogs can jump... Pretty high if want to, that is why screen top is a must, or aquarium top would work too. However most of these guys wouldnt want to move from their spot lol
    Humidity gotta be 70-80%, best to keep at 75. You can set it up and play around to see what works to keep temps and humidity. Check care sheet here on a forum and of course feel free to ask as many questions as you feel like it
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I have 3 vets ... one will see reptiles ... I am not sure about amphibians though. ( its a long story of WHY I have 3 vets lol)

It really sounds like a pac man would be best for me Super lazy lol and I at least get to spray it and watch it eat ( I learned early that sometimes just watching a predator eat is interesting, Not in a sick way, just feeder fish, or insects)

I am VERY careful with all my pets. You may call me paranoid actually. But its always better safe than sorry.

In reality ... How much do pacman frogs eat? And can they eat red wigglers? The kind without the nasty ooze.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hey i love paranoid people..... Being such myself..... Or better lets call us cautious be better safe then sorry it is my kinda thing too!

feeder fish - nope, red wigglers - nope, mealworms/superworms - nope.

Their main diet should be nightcrawlers and dubia, both supplemented, 2xweek ca/vitd3, once a week multivitamins. As a treat once i a while hormworms, silkworms, mice ( no more then one a month)

lazy, yes that is a word, but some, like my male for example, take the definition of lazy to the whole new level. He prefers to open his mouth and wait for a food to be delivered.

as far as amount of food goes, they eat insane amounts of food while growing, but slow down as they mature.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Ok ... Well I only have access to nightcrawlers , Crickets and mealies and red wigglers ... i was really hoping for something that could eat the latter 3.

Is there another lazy frog that doesnt eat so much? lol. I can only get what petsmart has, they are all I have near me.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Nightcrawlers are the best! And they are sold in all fish bait stores, literally anywhere, including walmart.
    crickets are ok while the guy is little, dubia - you can start colony for a constant free supply or just get it once in a while for variety.

Ill specify quantity. A baby pacman needs to eat every day and as much as it can eat once a day. That may be 5-10 crickets or a few pieces of nightcrawlers. Adults may eat once or a few times a week. Mine eat 2-3 nightcrawlers a week each, Sometimes a bit more, sometimes less.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Oh thats not awful.

I don't drive ... so getting anywhere is hard ... maybe starting a worm farm is a good idea.

why no red wigglers? they are good nutritionally and smaller so they would be good for the babies.

Dubia are not possible, boyfriend would NOT be ok with that.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Red wigglers excreting stuff that all frogs hate, and after trying it once they will be very suspicious over whatever you give them, especially if that smth that looks like that.

You can also get samurai pacman food and feed it once in a while. It is dry powder that you need to mix with water.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I know my red wigglers ... certain types have that ooze these do not. I have cut them and there is nothing. Turtles have bit them nothing. If its just the ooze I don't have to worry about that

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Ok It was stated That a 10 gallon was too big for a baby, I have a 5 gallon on hand, Would that be better?

Thread Information