Thread: Introducing Schloopy

InfInIty13X

Default Introducing Schloopy

Let me introduce my frog. I got the name from that song "Hang On Sloopy" by the McCoys because when I first got her she would hang one-legged from the mesh on the lid of the terrarium making me think of that song. Whatever; it works. Now she just sits in the corners or hides behind her tree.

I think it's a girl because I've read that males have a red spot under their throats(?) where friction builds from the chirping and my frog doesn't have that. Also that they have smaller ears than females and mine appears to have a bigger ear than pictures I've seen of males leads me to believe it is a female. She is about 2 inches long. I dunno how tall she is.

She is very afraid of me or just about anything. I guess it is because she is wild; I don't know. I don't even bother trying to grab her unless I'm cleaning the cage because she just jumps everywhere.

I feed her crickets that you can buy in the $3.00 plastic containers at Pet Smart but this is an issue. Sometimes I get males in there and they just chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp... it really is a problem. It drives me crazy. This is why I don't just buy a keeper instead of my current method. That and I am cheap.

For bedding I first used some cedar chips from the flower bed but after a while decided it wasn't great so I bought Bed-A-Beast. I don't think I used it right because I just crumbled it up from the block and set a layer in the bottom of the tank. Schloopy tracks it into the water dish and it sticks to her in tiny clumps. The cedar chips didn't do that. I don't really know how to use the stuff but I think you're supposed to soak it in something right?

One thing I do want to make a note of is her right eyeball. It is all wonky. I have absolutely no clue what is wrong with it.

right eye ^^^

left eye vvv

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

thejolta

Default Re: Introducing Schloopy

Woah, that's an interesting eye. Reminds me of what happens to an LCD screen when it gets cracked.

On the bed a beast I'm guessing that's coconut fiber? If so yes you need to soak it for about 30 minutes in some water then just add it to your tank. Did it today for the first time and the guys seem to like it and I don't have to worry about impaction like i did when I had reptile wood chips in the tank.

Anyways welcome and cool frog.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I think Schloopy is definitely a Green Treefrog, Hyla cinerea.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

InfInIty13X

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I think Schloopy is definitely a Green Treefrog, Hyla cinerea.
    Minus the stripe.

As for the eye, it looks like it's inverted or backwards or something. I'm not sure if she can see through it or not.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Hi Infinity..Cool, she's lovely. One very unique individual, I think her eye gives her character

InfInIty13X

Quote Originally Posted by thejolta View Post
    On the bed a beast I'm guessing that's coconut fiber? If so yes you need to soak it for about 30 minutes in some water then just add it to your tank.
    How much water do I use? Do I drop the whole block in a bucket of water or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony
    Hi Infinity..Cool, she's lovely. One very unique individual, I think her eye gives her character
    I think so too. I tell myself I did her a favor by grabbing her because her wonky eye would've eventually been her demise. The eye does kinda change in appearance. I'll try to snap a shot sometime soon.

into

Quote Originally Posted by InfInIty13X View Post
    ...eye does kinda change in appearance. I'll try to snap a shot sometime soon.

Does that eye adjust to lights?

InfInIty13X

Quote Originally Posted by into View Post
    Does that eye adjust to lights?
    Not that I recall.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by InfInIty13X View Post
    How much water do I use? Do I drop the whole block in a bucket of water or what?
    Assuming it's still in compressed brick form then it should tell you on the packet. About 5 litres per brick is a safe medium and you can always squeeze out some of the water afterwards.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

InfInIty13X

I have another picture of her eye just as I promised. This time I set up a tripod and my camera and went to bed after turning out the lights. I started hearing her jumping around after that so I snapped some photos in the dark using the little green light for anti-red eye feature to guide me. Here... look for yourself.

That is not crud you see on her eye; that is her actual eyeball. It is very strange.

edit: when comparing this pic and earlier pics does it look like she's put on weight or am I just imagining it?

Kurt

It looks like she gained some wait.

into

She looks chubbier than mine and I feed them good. What does she eat? They're kinda cute when they're fat.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have to say it: I get that song stuck in my head for hours every time I see the title of this post come up.

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by into View Post
    She looks chubbier than mine and I feed them good. What does she eat? They're kinda cute when they're fat.
    Then you'll love my green treefrog. He/she is obeese. When I first got I had generously fed it waxworms and it put on a lot of a weight. Here we are like two years later and the weight has not come off, it has actually increased. It starting to look like a White's.

InfInIty13X

I just feed her gut-fed crickets I buy from Pet Smart. Does anyone wanna take a shot at what is going on with her eye?

Kurt

I have not a clue. I think a vet needs to look at to give you any kind of answer. Sorry.

Nationality
    [United States]

I am not vet, nor a herpetologist, but it sure looks like corneal scarring to me. Or maybe the frog version of cataracts?

I am just grabbing at straws...
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

InfInIty13X

It might just be a mutation. I've watched on NOVA about how frogs are being bore more and more frequently with mutations because of stuff like pesticides and chemical run-off and etc. It is really sad.

into

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Then you'll love my green treefrog. He/she is obeese. When I first got I had generously fed it waxworms and it put on a lot of a weight. Here we are like two years later and the weight has not come off, it has actually increased. It starting to look like a White's.
    yeah, I saw the picture and chuckled. I have never seen a fat GTF before

Thread Information