Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fruit Fly Easy Mix

bshmerlie

Default Fruit Fly Easy Mix

Anyone who knows anything about me knows I always look for the easy way out. I just don't like fuss. Sorry but its true. Anyways here's what I found. Has anyone tried this stuff? All you do is add a half a cup of hot water. Supposedly everything is already mixed it. Now, I could do that. The idea of mixing potato flakes and brewers yeast and everything else in a blender is just not my cup of tea. I'd probably never clean the blender. Anyways, if this stuff works I think I would actually culture my own. Go figure. I started two cultures today so I'll let you know how it goes. The "just add water" part sounds too good to be true. Is it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

clownonfire

Default Re: Fruit Fly Easy Mix

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Anyone who knows anything about me knows I always look for the easy way out. I just don't like fuss. Sorry but its true. Anyways here's what I found. Has anyone tried this stuff? All you do is add a half a cup of hot water. Supposedly everything is already mixed it. Now, I could do that. The idea of mixing potato flakes and brewers yeast and everything else in a blender is just not my cup of tea. I'd probably never clean the blender. Anyways, if this stuff works I think I would actually culture my own. Go figure. I started two cultures today so I'll let you know how it goes. The "just add water" part sounds too good to be true. Is it?
    Cheri, I haven't tried this... But I can give you a very easy recipe that I got from Mathieu Chouteau at Understory Enterprises. I usually prepare a "stash" that can make at least 12 cultures, if not more:

1. 6 very riped bananas
    2. Two jars of apple sauce (sweet)
    3. 3/4 of vinegar (this will help against the mites)
    4. Only if you want: 2 tbps of brewer's yeast (I have done some with and without).

Mix it, and voilą! So far, it has never failed!! Whatever I don't use, I freeze it using ziplocks in "culture portions".

Eric

bshmerlie

Eric I do appreciate the recipe...however....unless you're planning on sending me bananas....apple sauce....viniger....and a clean blender once a month I honestly would probably never do it. I like the "just add water" idea. I'll let you know if it works. It takes less than a minute to make and about $2 per culture if you count the product and 50 cents for the cup with the vented lid. I don't need a lot of cultures at this point considering my first one lasted about three weeks.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I am going to try my 1st setting up of cultures tomorrow. Should be interesting.

And how come I have so many fliers in my wingless fruit fly cultures anyway?
    hehehehe

Jumper

I have a simple mix that I have been using for over 2 years. Each one produces for 5 or so weeks and my frogs are healthy. I do not use it for hydei cultures though.

4 cups of potatoe flakes
    3 cups oatmeal
    2 powdered milk
    1 cup powdered sugar

I mix this together (I don't put in blender). When time to make a culture I mix 1/2 cup media with 2/3 cup distilled water. Before it sets up sprinkle one pinch of active dry yeast on top. Done. Then add your excelsior or whatever you use for them to climb on.

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    Cheri, I haven't tried this... But I can give you a very easy recipe that I got from Mathieu Chouteau at Understory Enterprises. I usually prepare a "stash" that can make at least 12 cultures, if not more:

1. 6 very riped bananas
    2. Two jars of apple sauce (sweet)
    3. 3/4 of vinegar (this will help against the mites)
    4. Only if you want: 2 tbps of brewer's yeast (I have done some with and without).

Mix it, and voilą! So far, it has never failed!! Whatever I don't use, I freeze it using ziplocks in "culture portions".

Eric
    Like Jumper, I do add oatmeal too, for consistency. I just failed giving you the entire recipe.

bshmerlie

Wow David thats a lot of fruit flys. How many frogs do you have? Or are your frogs especially hungry.

Jumper

I only have 16 Dart frogs....but I want to make sure I don't run out. 1 row is M. wingless, 1 row is M. flightless and 1 is Hydei. I also give some to those who have frogs and cameleons and live nearby. And my frogs tend to be a little .........chubby.

Alpha Pro Breeders

Here is a shameless plug:

I've worked on our media recipe for the last few years and were getting great results from it.

Heres the link Feeder Insect & Supplies - Alpha Pro Breeders

Today through presidents day type in " president " in the coupon code and receive 10% off all of your supply needs.

Thanks / Ron
    Alpha Pro Breeders
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I set up my 1st cultures today and there are a lot of flies in the kitchen now :-)
    That was the toughest part, getting the flies into the containers,

I did the instant potato, powdered sugar, dash of yeast and vinegar version without the brewers yeast. Couldn't find it locally at any of the markets. I did find the capsule and the versions for dogs but nothing powdered.

Hopefully they take.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    I set up my 1st cultures today and there are a lot of flies in the kitchen now :-)
    That was the toughest part, getting the flies into the containers,

I did the instant potato, powdered sugar, dash of yeast and vinegar version without the brewers yeast. Couldn't find it locally at any of the markets. I did find the capsule and the versions for dogs but nothing powdered.

Hopefully they take.

A little excited here as I have found tonight that my first try at setting up cultures has started to take off. I set up cultures with D. melanogaster that I purchased through Black Jungle. Tonight I saw many maggots climbing all around the bottom of the jars.

Now, how often should I create new cultures to ensure I don't run out?

Also, I used the basic instant potato, powdered sugar, vinegar and active yeast mix this time but was thinking on adding molasses to the next mix...is this advisable or should I try a new mix with bananas for the vitamins?

clownonfire

When I first started cultures, I overproduced. The perfect balance in my case for 2 vents and a bumblebee walking toad is 2 cultures each 10 days. I always do 2 cultures each time in case one doesn't take off.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks Eric. I did three and it looks like all three are beginning to produce.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I'm not a fan of the Fruit Fly Company (another name for ED's Fly Meat / ED's Fruit Fly Media). They tout their medium as the best out there but it's simply not the best in my experience. Also, in my one dealing with that company, she (her name is Erin) stiffed me on a refund - said I could get my money back off my next order. Needless to say I didn't order from her again. AVOID.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Just wondering.... the cultures I received from Black Jungle were producing for about a week and then almost nothing.... so I started the new cultures ..... not all of a sudden the Black Jungle cultures exploded and there are crazy amounts of flies producing. Common?

bshmerlie

Ok the verdict is in. Day 13 they are finally taking off. I made two cultures on February 18th now I have fruit fly producing cultures. It was pretty easy and it was "just add water". So I'll let you know how long they continue to produce. I know you guys have these great recipes...I just honestly don't have time to do that kind of stuff. Anyway this is an easy alternative for a lazy newbie like me. When I first started getting into frogs, dart frogs seemed kind of intimidating because I didn't want to have to worry about cuturing a food source. Then I was worried about escape flys and culture crashes and I just avoided tiny frogs all together. But if this culture maintains for a decent amount of time I think it takes the pain out of dart frogs in my opinion. I know I've only had my two darts for two months but they are extremely easy to care for. You always hear how dart frogs are not for the beginners but I don't really see why not. It all goes back to if you can maintain a consistent enviroment for your specific frogs they will do well. And with the "just add water" food source it puts them into the beginner category for me. Just my opinion guys.

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Ok the verdict is in. Day 13 they are finally taking off. I made two cultures on February 18th now I have fruit fly producing cultures. It was pretty easy and it was "just add water". So I'll let you know how long they continue to produce. I know you guys have these great recipes...I just honestly don't have time to do that kind of stuff. Anyway this is an easy alternative for a lazy newbie like me. When I first started getting into frogs, dart frogs seemed kind of intimidating because I didn't want to have to worry about cuturing a food source. Then I was worried about escape flys and culture crashes and I just avoided tiny frogs all together. But if this culture maintains for a decent amount of time I think it takes the pain out of dart frogs in my opinion. I know I've only had my two darts for two months but they are extremely easy to care for. You always hear how dart frogs are not for the beginners but I don't really see why not. It all goes back to if you can maintain a consistent enviroment for your specific frogs they will do well. And with the "just add water" food source it puts them into the beginner category for me. Just my opinion guys.
    Funny that you say this, Cheri... In my article Choosing a Frog, I did add darts as a choice for beginners... with a certain BUT....

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I am trying the Black Jungle mix that you just add water too.

I set them up Sunday and 4 days later have larva starting up the cups. Nice.

I'm foing to set up some wingless cultures this weekend so I can reduce the fliers in the house :-)

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    I am trying the Black Jungle mix that you just add water too.

I set them up Sunday and 4 days later have larva starting up the cups. Nice.

I'm foing to set up some wingless cultures this weekend so I can reduce the fliers in the house :-)
    To win the heart of your wife...get some of those ugly fly strips you hang from the ceiling. That should help.
    1.2.0 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Azureus'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Lamasi 'Orange'
    1.1.0 Dendrobates Ventrimaculatus 'Understory Line'
    0.3.0 Dendrobates leucomelas

--------------------------------------------------
    As always your mileage may vary!
    I may or may not know what I'm talking about!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM670 View Post
    To win the heart of your wife...get some of those ugly fly strips you hang from the ceiling. That should help.
    Your just itching to get me moved back into the igloo for a few nights right?

She should be glad I didn't come home with gliders from Black Jungle :-) They would be everywhere. She did help me get the new cultures put together with a funnel so we didn't lose a fly loading up the cups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information