Thread: Help with Identification!

Shannon821

Default Help with Identification!

We acquired a tree frog and, are having difficulties identifying it. Any idea's?

Also, we have a male Gray tree frog already. Would these two be alright to house together?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

frisky

Default Re: Help with Identification!

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon821 View Post
    We acquired a tree frog and, are having difficulties identifying it. Any idea's?

Also, we have a male Gray tree frog already. Would these two be alright to house together?
    what size is it ?

clownonfire

Shannon, I don't know exactly which species this is, but as it is different than your Gray Tree frog, they should not be housed together. We had a post yesterday from another member who lost his toads after mixing species. It's just a recipe for disaster...

Actually, now that I look at it, it looks like a Green and Golden Bell frog, stressed (which is why it's on the brownish side...). I'm not a 100% certain, though. Here's a link to more on them:

http://www.frogforum.net/care-articl...ria-aurea.html

And it looks pretty close this Green and Golden frog on Ebony's picture.

Eric

5. This member thanks clownonfire for this post:

Shannon821

It is bigger than my gray. It is about 4 in. head to bottom. Under it's legs are flashes of blue.

Shannon821

Yes! I think it is a Green and Golden Tree frog! Thank you!

Does anyone on this site have these type of frogs that can tell me a little more about them?

clownonfire

Yes! I think it is a Green and Golden Tree frog! Thank you!

Does anyone on this site have these type of frogs that can tell me a little more about them?
    You're in luck! One of our moderators Ebony has these beauties, and will surely answer you once she gets online.

Shannon821

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    You're in luck! One of our moderators Ebony has these beauties, and will surely answer you once she gets online.
    Thank you again, Eric!

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Great job Eric..I believe it is a Green and Golden Bell frog and that's so exciting to me because this is the first time Ive seen one in the US on the forum.

Shannon..Let me know if you have any questions.

Shannon821

A friend of ours bought it at a pet store where they called it a "Golden Nugget" tree frog. They ended up not being able to care for it so we said we would look into how much care it takes.
    We currently have a gray tree frog. We are still new to owning frogs. We put the Green and Golden bell in with the gray only to find out after coming on here we shouldn't be housing them together.
    It's been eating crickets and seems happy in the Terrarium we have for the Gray. We have even found them cuddled up next to each other.
    I am guessing from the previous posters comments we should separate the two. What about the new terrarium? How should we set it up for him? As of right now our Grey has branches, some plants and, a water bowl. Will it need different from that?
    Is it overall an easier tree frog to care for? Our gray is pretty laid back and easy!

Thanks for any help you can give!

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

HI Shannon,
    Definatly keep these frogs separate as they secret toxins that are harmful to each other. Green and Golden Bell tree frogs are fairly easy to care for. I dont keep Gray Tree frogs but they sound like they have simular requirements. Read the care articles. Green and Golden Bell's like to sit up high during the day and climb around on the ground in the evenings. I suggest a half land half water set up as they love to soak in the water. Put plenty of plants and branches to climb around on and it also makes them feel safe and are more likely to sit in view. I also suggest a variety of foods and be sure to dust the food with calcium/vitamin D supplement.

Here is my Green and Golden Bell frogs enclosure.

Shannon821

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    HI Shannon,
    Definatly keep these frogs separate as they secret toxins that are harmful to each other. Green and Golden Bell tree frogs are fairly easy to care for. I dont keep Gray Tree frogs but they sound like they have simular requirements. Read the care articles. Green and Golden Bell's like to sit up high during the day and climb around on the ground in the evenings. I suggest a half land half water set up as they love to soak in the water. Put plenty of plants and branches to climb around on and it also makes them feel safe and are more likely to sit in view. I also suggest a variety of foods and be sure to dust the food with calcium/vitamin D supplement.

Here is my Green and Golden Bell frogs enclosure.
    We set up an enclosure for the Green and Golden Tree Frog and, separated it from my gray. Here is what we set up with what we could find at our local pet shop. Anything you suggest we add? It has spent the whole day in the water behind the big rock.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Shannon.. It looks great..you can never add too many plants. Give your frog a few days to settle into his/her new home. Well done

Thread Information