Thread: Burrowing

Roidrage

Default Burrowing

Hello! Just finished my setup on my cage, pics are coming, using a 75w heat spot over the water area and a thick thick layer of cocofiber over the rest. Some live plants also.

My female just burrow herself complete hehe but she eats okey and everything. Is this typical?

Cheers!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

spencerburgo

Default Re: Burrowing

Quote Originally Posted by Roidrage View Post
    Hello! Just finished my setup on my cage, pics are coming, using a 75w heat spot over the water area and a thick thick layer of cocofiber over the rest. Some live plants also.

My female just burrow herself complete hehe but she eats okey and everything. Is this typical?

Cheers!
    yes when you give them a good layer of substrate they will spend most of there time buried apart from when they eat and baith,

cheers spencer.............

Roidrage

Quote Originally Posted by spencerburgo View Post
    yes when you give them a good layer of substrate they will spend most of there time buried apart from when they eat and baith,

Okey okey. Good for the animal bad for me then hehe. Not fun never to see the frog

cheers

Malachi

My male spends equal parts in the earth and floating around in the water

FG

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    My male spends equal parts in the earth and floating around in the water
    Did you ever "have" to dig him out when you thought that it is time for feeding etc.?
    I mean if I would leave him alone my male would stay ages below the surface. On the other hand he feeds on anything immediately after digging him out.

Malachi

Quote Originally Posted by FG View Post
    Did you ever "have" to dig him out when you thought that it is time for feeding etc.?
    I mean if I would leave him alone my male would stay ages below the surface. On the other hand he feeds on anything immediately after digging him out.
    How are your temps and humidity? Mine used to stay under longer when it was drier. He is not full grown so if he stayed under long I would probably dig him up too. I dig my female up sometimes and she is exactly like your male, ready to eat right away. Sometimes she will come out on her own as well.

8. This member thanks Malachi for this post:

Roidrage

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    How are your temps and humidity? Mine used to stay under longer when it was drier. He is not full grown so if he stayed under long I would probably dig him up too. I dig my female up sometimes and she is exactly like your male, ready to eat right away. Sometimes she will come out on her own as well.

Okey my female i have to dig out everytime if i want to see her...my humidity is real good, but if i dig here out she just burrows directly kinda of boring. about 80 fahrenheit above the water (75 w spot).
    I have some fishes in the water area to...

She is new in this setting so well see if im gonna see her hehe.

pics
    Attached Images Attached Images    

spencerburgo

nice setup plenty room in there for her,

cheers spencer............

jjmorton13

I assume that wire is your temperature and humidity probe? You should probably bury that so your frog won't get tangled or see it move and try to eat it.

Roidrage

Quote Originally Posted by jjmorton13 View Post
    I assume that wire is your temperature and humidity probe? You should probably bury that so your frog won't get tangled or see it move and try to eat it.

Yes i dont have that wire in all the time, its in because its a new setup.
    I have some problem with the temperature, "over" the water its about 80 and in the soil about 70...to cold? Thinking of adding a heat-pad under the water area to get extra warmer in that end?

Whats the ideal temprature for digesting/active and so on? Shes burrowed about 10 cm from the waterarea hehe about 70 there maybe somewhat cooler down the earth...

spencerburgo

Yes i dont have that wire in all the time, its in because its a new setup.
    I have some problem with the temperature, "over" the water its about 80 and in the soil about 70...to cold? Thinking of adding a heat-pad under the water area to get extra warmer in that end?

Whats the ideal temprature for digesting/active and so on? Shes burrowed about 10 cm from the waterarea hehe about 70 there maybe somewhat cooler down the earth...
    check the temprature were she is sitting and you will find its about right, there not daft they will go were they feel the temprature is right for them,

cheers spencer...............

Myles

that is one of the nicest setups

Roidrage

Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    that is one of the nicest setups

Thanks man! Getting some more live plants soon and ill update with pics again. Dont wont to much "decorations" though just nice and clean !

Cheeers

Mail for sale here in my country
    Last edited by Roidrage; February 16th, 2011 at 01:15 PM.

Roidrage

Mail for sale here in my country[/QUOTE]

What do you think? Think he looks good?

FG

Thanks Malachi! I think temperature regulation is an issue I definitely should improve...I will have a better setup for my buddy soon with space for bathing and better temperature regulation etc. But it is good to hear that the behavior of my pyxie is not unique.

FG

What do you think? Think he looks good?
    Now this is one really happy, good looking frog!

spencerburgo

nice looking male there how old is it?

Roidrage

Quote Originally Posted by spencerburgo View Post
    nice looking male there how old is it?

He is about 3years old i think.. maybe 4 years. Yes hes good looking

Roidrage

What do you think? Think he looks good?[/QUOTE]

Im picking up a male at friday im happy hehe! The one in the picture. Now im wondering if my cage is right setup? I use 75w heat bulb AND a heat-mat under the water area and still only about 80 over the water somewhat cooler in the water. In the rest of the tank its about 70.

Is this ok=? Or should i move the waterbowl just to get the heat from the light down in the earth instead? Think its kind of low temp?

Cheers // Stefan

Thread Information