Thread: New baby whites

Leefrogs

Default New baby whites

Im new to frogs, and now a baby one, named Opal, and bout an inch. Besides small foods, any tips for raising little ones? thanks in advance......

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rocko

Default Re: New baby whites

Keep an eye on its eating habits and make sure it actually consumes its food. To that end, keeping it in a smaller enclosure can help it to find its food much easier.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Congrats on little Opal Ginger, she's so cute! I hope she thrives with you as your other two have.

As for tips I don't have any >>, I got Bruce when he was already half grown and established as an "adult" frog. XD But I wanted to extend my congrats and good wishes. I hope sometime soon we can share baby pictures! I'll be getting a new WTF within the next month or so, hopefully a baby just like you. ^ ^

Socrates

Just make sure you have the proper humidity, lighting, and temperature. Also be sure to feed enough, at the early stages growth will be rapid, so be sure they are receiving enough food to grow. Good luck and be sure to post pics!

Leefrogs

Sadly, I can't post with my old iPhone. But there are pics in alblum. I have 1 very large plant in a pot inside an octagon tank. So around bottom is where food goes and cannot hide anywhere, easy for me to track that she ate 7 small crix in 2 days. She was raised at the store at 50% humidity and was burrowed all the time. She seems to stay at bottom so i added a kids tea cup for a hide near the plant, and theres a log hide at bottom also. So my humidity is 70%, so I'm concerned cuz I read somewhere little ones are prone to fungal infections, so should I drop humidity a bit? and store had her at room temp, I have 80, but her log is by side heatmat, so it's round 85 down there.

Thanks every1 for Opals welcome. Check alblum, opal fits her range of colors.

Rocko

Humidity is fine, 70 should be the target for a white's, temp is fine as well. I would worry more about fungal issues at 90% or more.

8. This member thanks Rocko for this post:

Grrrit

Awesome! Always exciting getting another little guy to take care of. Congrats and best wishes!

Rocko

Just a quick question for folks, when you get a new frog on average how long does it take to acclimate? Like pooping fine, but not eating yet.

Leefrogs

my three ate right away. I wouldn't worry unless it's been a few days. Dusting crix helps frogs visual. Otherwise brown cricket, brown back ground, and a new background on top of it all. Miine seem to target better and faster on dusted items

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I didn't have any problems with Bruce (WTF) when I brought him home, he ate like a pig during the entire time I've had him, even through an infection I couldn't get him to stop eating if I tried. Sorry, I don't have any experience with frogs acclimating in that manner, eating and so forth. I hope I don't have this problem with other frogs, I might let my over active imagination get the better of me. >>

It probably has a lot to do with the frog's health and personality and also the type of frog, I know white's are notorious for eating like they're constantly starving. Bruce is a powerhouse, he could eat ANYTHING at this point. XD
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

spankyg

Best thing I believe is to not worry too much about them. Don't "kill them with kindness" if you know what I mean. Just make sure their fed, their tank is cleaned every so often and make sure it doesn't smell bad.

I had my baby whites since they were tiny tadpoles, smaller than my pinky nail.. I wasn't even sure at first if they were tadpoles. Now they are frogs (at about 2 inches each). I have 5 of them.

I kept them in a small enclosure at first so they could track down their food easier, because they didn't eat for a while... once they started, I fed them larger critters to toughen them up a bit, which seems to have worked as they now take down things double their size with ease and they get a little more exercise out of it.

Humidity’s fine, as I live in what could be called the tropics, it's been about 32ºC outside all week at about 70% humidity (so I imagine inside the tank to be a little higher), all I've kept on the frogs is a small fan to circulate the air a bit, and they are doing fine.

Whites can put up with pretty harsh conditions and seem to adapt to whatever you provide them, I think they live a lot better when you give them that leeway, so they become immune to things while they're young rather than become sick later on.

Good luck

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spankyg View Post
    Best thing I believe is to not worry too much about them. Don't "kill them with kindness" if you know what I mean. Just make sure their fed, their tank is cleaned every so often and make sure it doesn't smell bad.

I had my baby whites since they were tiny tadpoles, smaller than my pinky nail.. I wasn't even sure at first if they were tadpoles. Now they are frogs (at about 2 inches each). I have 5 of them.

I kept them in a small enclosure at first so they could track down their food easier, because they didn't eat for a while... once they started, I fed them larger critters to toughen them up a bit, which seems to have worked as they now take down things double their size with ease and they get a little more exercise out of it.

Humidity’s fine, as I live in what could be called the tropics, it's been about 32ºC outside all week at about 70% humidity (so I imagine inside the tank to be a little higher), all I've kept on the frogs is a small fan to circulate the air a bit, and they are doing fine.

Whites can put up with pretty harsh conditions and seem to adapt to whatever you provide them, I think they live a lot better when you give them that leeway, so they become immune to things while they're young rather than become sick later on.

Good luck
    Oh wow it must be so exciting raising frogs from tadpoles and hanging onto them until they're all grown up. >< I got my WTF when he was already about 2 inches long, he's since grown a little, but not by too much. I've never even been close to a baby one before but they're so tiny I'd be afraid to crush them ><

How long did it take your babies to grow to the size they are now? Let's say from 1 inch to 2? Just curious as I may be acquiring my own new baby White's soon and want to estimate how long it might take him to get up to Bruce's size so that we don't have a "frog eat frog" situation as I said before. XD

I love how strong White's are, they seem to persevere even in the toughest situations. I got Bruce from a Petsmart in my area and his living conditions were so terrible that when I brought him home with me he immediately caught an infection from all the stress he was receiving. He was grossly overweight as well which lead to a decline in his immune system. But I nursed him back to health and gave him all his vitamins and now he's healthy as a horse! It can be really rewarding to see him climbing about with his eyes wide and alert and that big ol' smile on his face. ^ ^
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

spankyg

Quote Originally Posted by Kisa View Post
    Oh wow it must be so exciting raising frogs from tadpoles and hanging onto them until they're all grown up. >< I got my Whites Tree Frog when he was already about 2 inches long, he's since grown a little, but not by too much. I've never even been close to a baby one before but they're so tiny I'd be afraid to crush them ><
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisa View Post

How long did it take your babies to grow to the size they are now? Let's say from 1 inch to 2? Just curious as I may be acquiring my own new baby White's soon and want to estimate how long it might take him to get up to Bruce's size so that we don't have a "frog eat frog" situation as I said before. XD

I love how strong White's are, they seem to persevere even in the toughest situations. I got Bruce from a Petsmart in my area and his living conditions were so terrible that when I brought him home with me he immediately caught an infection from all the stress he was receiving. He was grossly overweight as well which lead to a decline in his immune system. But I nursed him back to health and gave him all his vitamins and now he's healthy as a horse! It can be really rewarding to see him climbing about with his eyes wide and alert and that big ol' smile on his face. ^ ^
    Haha it's been pretty hectic, I found the tadpoles around the 14th of December last year.. Which is around the time I became a member.. here is the first thread I posted about it: http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...ree-frogs.html

Since then they have all morphed into frogs.
    I released about 15 and kept 5.
    It's so strange though, as some tadpoles only morphed into frogs around 1 week ago, and the 5 I decided to care for were froglets about 4 weeks ago, so If you're taking care of tadpoles, time of growth can vary dramatically.

Anyway, If you look at my album, you will see about 3 weeks ago I posted a picture of the little guys, at that stage they were about 2cm in length,(about 1 inch). Now, 3 weeks later, my largest is a little over 2 inches, and my smallest is just under 2 inches. So roughly, they grow around an inch every 3 weeks. I believe the rate of growth slows as they get larger as well.

Here are some pics of my Smallest and Largest:

Small:

Largest:

Both:

images look **** cause they are off my phone but you should get a rough Idea of the sizing..

And sorry for hijacking your thread with this massive post Ginger and Lee.. lol, I think it's sorta relevant to the topic though... Can't wait to see how Opal progresses

Leefrogs

nope hijacking welcome!!!!!! Love it!! You personally made it more interesting, we can talk growth! So is it some are just smaller? I know my blue (opal) is going to be a peanut, just cuz all the inbred to get them blue, but naturally, some are quite a bit smaller. I see very few WTF that get to be the 5 inches they say can happen. So I'd love to see how your kids turn out!! Both kisa and I got ones that were over 2 1/2, so were wondering age, and if they'll get over 3 1/2, or bigger.

17. This member thanks Leefrogs for this post:

spankyg

oh thats sweet then, no worries

Well... down here I see plenty of huge whites.. I caught one near the house around a year ago which would have been easy 6 inches, and the other day my little bro caught one that reached 5... next time it rains I'll see what I can find and take some pics.

they seem to thrive down here... about a 10 minute drive from where I live, theres some bushland/swamps, and during the summer rains there are literally hundreds on the road, (it's quite sad cause some get hit by cars)... but there are HUNDREDS.. all around 4 to 5 inches. It's insane.

I got a feeling the ones I'm keeping will turn out relatively large.. I'll see how we go though.. they seem to be growing at an alarming rate.

I suggest feeding them a varied diet.. and A LOT while they're young, I don’t think it's scientifically backed up, but personally I think if you feed them a lot while they’re younger, they will grow a lot quicker and larger,,, so get in early! lol

I love how you're "Opal" has that bluish tinge, To be honest I've never seen a blue whites physically (only on google and this site), the closest I've seen to blue is a slight aqua.... down here they are all vividly green with white spots and the occasional brown.

But yeah, I'll keep you posted 'Ginger and Lee' (if you do the same) lol

19. This member thanks spankyg for this post:

Leefrogs

I think some being raised in petstores has stunted the growth, and may possibly never catch up. Kisa and I will keep in touch, I stuff mine till bellies are big and showing pink. Mealworms, wax worms, crickets, earthworms, and canned crickets.

spankyg

Sad about the stunted growth... maybe sprinkle the crickets with steroids lol (jokes)
    But yeah, that buffet of bugs sounds delish.
    keep up the good work

woppa

Congrats on the frog. I hope you have many years to come with your new pet.

Leefrogs

Thanks whoopa!! Gave her a 5 week old cricket, and she showed no fear. Cute actually, as she used her hands to shove it in. She likes her waxies but not her vitamins, she makes a face and tries to wipe it off her lips.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Wow that is a big difference in size! They're really cute though I just love how they sleep! With their hands all folded and their faces tilted down. XD That's my favorite picture. ><

I heard from a friend that it would probably take anywhere between 3 weeks and two months for the new White's to reach the size Bruce is, which is alright with me as long as he's ok sitting in his quarantine tank that long. Thanks for the pics and the info, it was really helpful!

And yeah I think the line of frogs that is being sold in today's stores are slightly smaller than those you'd see in the wild. Also I feel like keeping them as pets stunts their growth, if you have them in a smaller cage I bet they grow to a smaller size to accommodate their surroundings. It's like that for some plants and other wild animals too, like domesticated cats and dogs. They grow into their environments, and out in Australia they have the whole big outback to grow in! (Sorry for the stupid Australian pun, I couldn't help myself. XD I know the whole country isn't the outback. XD)

Yeah Ginger's right my Brucey was already a good 2 inches when I got him at the pet store, he's since grown a little bit but not by so much that I can tell. Before he barely filled the palm of my hand and now he fits just perfectly in the cupped space. He's much skinnier now too though, that could be why it's hard to tell if he's grown a lot, prolly longer but not as wide. He was obese when I got him and I've slimmed him down to about an ideal weight, at least for me. He's still got that little pudge, but I think it gives him character. ^ ^ I've been feeding him crickets only for now, I know it's better to go with a varied diet but waxworms aren't good for a diet because of their high fat content and he was recently constipated so I've been giving him one small mealworm every three feedings to reduce the chances of impaction. As I feel that he's completely over that and the right weight I'll start feeding him waxworms too, I've never seen one but I heard they're just giant mealworms? Or that's what they look like anyway. XD

Hahaha that was Bruce as well when I tried to give him his medicine, he would try to back his face up and wipe the stuff off. XD It was so cute! I'll never try to give him medicine again if I don't have to though, it' so scary and nerve wracking. >< For now I just feed my crickets cricket quencher and a small buffet of fruits and veggies to fill they're bellies with delicious vitamins for Bruce to absorb. ^ ^

Posted a wanted thread about a Blue Phase White's, so if anyone has any info for me feel free to post there or PM. I'm really set on a Blue Phase now, I know I can find one if I just keep looking! ><
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Thread Information