Thread: Tell me about Waxy Monkey Frogs

Dog Shrink

Default Tell me about Waxy Monkey Frogs

So we use to have just a regular garden caught Bufo named Miss. Toad. We had her for prob. close to 4 years before she died. She was a fun animal to have in the house, both the boys loved feeding her and watching her hop around when they'd take her out. We really kinda miss having her around despite the plethora of other animals we have (5 dogs, a leopard gecko, a ball python, and a small rabbitry of about 20 netherland dwarfs). She was quite a big girl, prob. 4 inches +/- a little from snout to vent.

Miss Toad: (I think she may have been a bit overfed by the boys )

We really enjoyed her size and durability and ease of care, and from what I've been reading lately it seems the waxy monkey frog would be in some ways kinda similar, more arid than whites, voracious eaters, larger size overall, etc. So I guess what I was wanting to know isis what I've been reading accurate? Info is hard to come by, and what I have found has been intermingled with the giant waxy monkey frogs which from what I understand can make you hallucinate if you accidentally ingest their residue that might be left on your hands or (God forbid) lick them??? Is there a similar concern for the regular waxy monkey frog? One of my kids is only 6 years old but VERY animal wise. He washes hands before and after handling our herps, knows how to handle etc.

So tell me about waxy monkey frogs... the good, the bad, and the ugly. (or direct me to some accurate info please). BTW are they noctournal?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rocko

Default Re: Tell me about Waxy Monkey Frogs

I'll second this thread, and request that anyone who keeps one please post pics of their enclosures I'm intrigued to see what they look like.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Shrink View Post
    So we use to have just a regular garden caught Bufo named Miss. Toad. We had her for prob. close to 4 years before she died. She was a fun animal to have in the house, both the boys loved feeding her and watching her hop around when they'd take her out. We really kinda miss having her around despite the plethora of other animals we have (5 dogs, a leopard gecko, a ball python, and a small rabbitry of about 20 netherland dwarfs). She was quite a big girl, prob. 4 inches +/- a little from snout to vent.

Miss Toad: (I think she may have been a bit overfed by the boys )

We really enjoyed her size and durability and ease of care, and from what I've been reading lately it seems the waxy monkey frog would be in some ways kinda similar, more arid than whites, voracious eaters, larger size overall, etc. So I guess what I was wanting to know isis what I've been reading accurate? Info is hard to come by, and what I have found has been intermingled with the giant waxy monkey frogs which from what I understand can make you hallucinate if you accidentally ingest their residue that might be left on your hands or (God forbid) lick them??? Is there a similar concern for the regular waxy monkey frog? One of my kids is only 6 years old but VERY animal wise. He washes hands before and after handling our herps, knows how to handle etc.

So tell me about waxy monkey frogs... the good, the bad, and the ugly. (or direct me to some accurate info please). BTW are they noctournal?
    I have been keeping a group of 4 for a few months now. They do like hot, dry conditions. They come from the Gran Chaco region of South America which is hot, arid forest. I only mist them once a day, at night after I shut off the heat lamp, and it's a very light, gentle misting. You should provide a shallow dish with some water in it in case they need to soak. The temperature in the tank should be about 80 degrees Fahrenheit with a basking spot that gets up to 90. Heat lamps work very well, and you should have a branch positioned under the lamp for basking. They do get to a fairly good size, my adults are probably 3 inches snout to vent length and about 5 inches with their back legs extended. They are pretty voracious eaters, although my adults waxies haven't tried to eat my juvenile waxy. So they seem to do well in groups. Their skin does contain a mild psychoactive drug, so wash your hands after handling, or what I do is handle them with latex-free, powder-free gloves. Interestingly enough, their skin also contain an antibacterial agent and acts as a moisturizing cream for the frogs. They are nocturnal, so at night when I shut the lamp off they come alive. Provide them with plenty of branches, some plants like aloe vera or other succulents, and some caves to hide in and they'll do great! Here is a good link to some plants for a Waxy Monkey frog vivarium: Plants for a Waxy Monkey frog habitat.

Dog Shrink

Thank you very much for that info. Thomas I appreciate your reply. I thought most nocturnal frogs had horizontal pupils tho. Interesting... What is your staple diet for your groups of waxies? Would it be possible to see a pic of your waxie set up plz?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Shrink View Post
    Thank you very much for that info. Thomas I appreciate your reply. I thought most nocturnal frogs had horizontal pupils tho. Interesting... What is your staple diet for your groups of waxies? Would it be possible to see a pic of your waxie set up plz?
    You are very welcome. I feed my Waxies large crickets right now, which they love, but I'm going to be breeding Blaptica dubia roaches for them pretty soon. I have them in a temporary enclosure right now until I get their new permanent terrarium built. Here is a link from Amphibiancare.com to a photo of the Waxy Monkey frog setup at the Bronx Zoo: Bronx Zoo Waxy Monkey frog Viv.

spiderlover

hello my friend here.i just bought some waxy today...just want to ask do i need to keep them warm during winter time?our winter is about 10 to 15 degrees lasting for about 4 to 5 months..thanks

Helios

Quote Originally Posted by spiderlover View Post
    hello my friend here.i just bought some waxy today...just want to ask do i need to keep them warm during winter time?our winter is about 10 to 15 degrees lasting for about 4 to 5 months..thanks
    Spiderlover: I'm still really new to keeping waxies, but from the research I have done, yes you do need to keep them warm year-round. They inhabit a region of South America that has relatively consistent temperature ranges. I need to do a little more reading... I think the region does experience a "rainy" season. Overall though, everything I've read indicates the consistent temps.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by spiderlover View Post
    oh, I haven't seen it, jumped for your other thread first!

you have to change the critter keeper to proper set up with good airflow asap, ( those pics were how you keep them right?) based on a pics you have babies, you will need a big tank with screen top and sides if possible, while they're babies 12x12x18 exo terra would do, but keep in mind that as they grow and your female ( very pretty one may i say) will get bigger then boys you might need to keep her separate and of course in bigger tank. they need a lot of space.
    must for waxy frogs : 2% UVB, basking lamp with temp 90-95F under, temp no lower then 80F in a colder parts, low humidity no higher then 40%. those conditions have to be all year round. very good airflow should be ensured at all the time.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

FriedrichsFrogs

are they a species of tree frog?

Nationality
    [Canada]

yes, but their husbandry is complete opposite of other tree frogs.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

FriedrichsFrogs

husbandry? sorry the whole breeding vernacular goes right over my head

Quote Originally Posted by FriedrichsFrogs View Post
    husbandry? sorry the whole breeding vernacular goes right over my head
    husbandry relates to all the care of an animal, from day to day care all the way to breeding.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri