Thread: White lipped tree frog

Jace

Default White lipped tree frog

I was at my usual petstore today, and for the past three months, they have had the same White Lipped Tree frog. It started off about the size of a quarter, and is now about 3" svl, and a brown colour. I am seriously considering trying my hand at a tree frog and was wondering if they have the same relative care as the WTF or the RETF? And is brown a normal colour for a white-lipped? S/he has been there for so long, I think I could give it a good home, but I want to make sure everything is set up proper before I sucker my partner into getting it . Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: White lipped tree frog

White-lips are identical in care to White's. However, they are wild caught across the board, I know of no captive bred animals. Chances are it has some sort of gastroinstinal parasite load. The fact that it has grown, I suspect its not too much of a factor for it. They are usally more skittish then White's, probably because of their origin. Brown is a normal color for this animal if is in a dark situation, such as dim lighting or a dark colored enclosure.

Jace

Thanks Kurt. I did not know that there are no captive bred of these types of frogs. I prefer only captive bred, so now I am not sure I want to purchase this little one. Maybe I will bring that fact up to my petstore as they may not be aware of that. I will see how s/he is doing in a couple of weeks and make my decision then. Thank you.

Kurt

You're quite welcome.

Oh BTW, they get huge! Their other common name is the giant treefrog.

Jace

Huge, eh? I think I can handle that. What size of enclosure should I think about if I do get him/her? And being a tree frog, taller is better, right?

Kurt

Always. A twenty high would be the minimum for an adult of this species. More frogs, bigger enclosure.

eipper

I have bred L. infrafrenata on few occasions, Brown is usually a sign of stress in this species.

Cheers,
    Scott

Jace

Quote Originally Posted by eipper View Post
    I have bred L. infrafrenata on few occasions, Brown is usually a sign of stress in this species.

Cheers,
    Scott

Thanks, Scott, that does make sense. S/he is not in an ideal enclosure and though there is growth, I can't imagine that she is very comfortable in her surroundings. The more I think about it, the more I think I could give /himher a better set-up. Is it possible to sex the frog at this size? Thanks for any advice!

Thread Information