Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I adopted a Female WTF...

into

Default So I adopted a Female WTF...

Yesturday I adopted a new WTF. I saw her in the pet store about a month ago and have been feeling bad for her ever since. She's just about 3" long and was stuck in the small 3 gallon tank with a million others. The whites aren't selling at this store and they just keep sticking more in there... They even went through a price cut as they were only $15.99 (they were 24.99). The same frogs are in there that were in there when I bought Dumper.

Anyway, she is very skinny (they all are, even the babies) so I was wondering what I could do to fatten her up a little. She's active and eats and shows no signs of illness except for being underfed. Is there anything I could give her crickets to increase the fat content without it being detrimental to her health?

Also, I have her in quarantine no where near Dumper and the others, but have heard conflicting statements as to how long she must stay there... 30 days? 90 days? She's a little big to be with Dumper anyway, but I was just curious. She has her own feeding container and her own container of crickets and I'm using paper towel substrate.

Her color ranges are completely different than Dumper's.. She's a more natural deep green and he seems like an alien minty-blue color. I didn't notice how blue dumper was until I saw her.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: So I adopted a Female WTF...

Wax worms are a high-fat treat/weight gaining supplement. Just don't get her hooked.

Kurt

Have her checked for gastrointestinal parasites, especially before you introduce her to your other White's.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

JCLEE gave you the advice I would have given you.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Jace

Congrats! She is going to have a great home with you. Have you picked out a name yet? Good luck plumbing her up-she is already gorgeous.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

It's a shame how some pet stores, even one's claiming to specialize iin herps will treat there critters. I hoope she pulls through. With those crowded conditions, it's highly likely she could have a parasite overload. I would get her treated for parasites by a vet or another capable and experienced individual. But if she exhibits otherwise normal tree frog behavior (not laying around on the floor, active and alert etc) I would just watch the color and consistancy of her stools, keep her in a hydration chamber and and feed her a diet that includes wax worms and occassional pink mice just until she fattens up a bit.

Nationality
    [United States]

can't wait to see her when she is fattened up! Glad she has a good home.
    God bless,

Laura

into

Talking Re: So I adopted a Female WTF...

Day 3 and she's doing good. I looked at the local pet stores, but no wax worms, only superworms. Would those work? I was worried about impaction with these. I don't know about feeding her a pinkie.

I think she ate 9 crickets her first night home and I put 7 dusted crickets in her tank last night... she ate them all. I know it's only been a couple days but her sides have aready filled out a little and she shed her skin and looks very shiny and new today. She sleeps up on the glass (not on the floor) and last night when the lights went out, she was awake and looking around for food. I'm working right now to upgrade her temporary tank to make her more comfortable.

I think I still need to find a herp vet, at least to know there is one available if I need one. I'm close to Baltimore so there's gotta be one around here.

I'll keep everyone updated on her and post lots of pics (because, well I can't stop taking pictures of these guys)

into

A few new pictures of her. I haven't named her yet... I can't think of one

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

She is just gorgeous, she even looks happier in these photo's. Glad she has somone who cares.
    Is it legal for the pet shop to have so many frogs in one small tank? Can it not be reported or even if you told them it was not ok. Some people are just not informed which is crazy as being a pet shop you would think they would take the time to know these things.

into

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Have her checked for gastrointestinal parasites, especially before you introduce her to your other White's.
    (Quoted from : http://www.frogforum.net/other-frogs....html#post4317)

Its a lot of the reason I automatically treat for them with new animals.
    What is the process of treating for GP? Is it prescription medication or something that can be found at a store? oh, I did a search and think I found a local vet that may be able to check/treat my pets, they list reptiles, small animals and wildlife. I'll have to inquire with them.

Jade (I chose a name) hasn't given a fecal sample yet. Should I soak her in a warm bath? When she does, is there anyway to preserve the sample and anything that may be inside it?

She is starting to fill out nicely... The picture on the left was taken last night, picture on the right was her first day home.

Kurt

Ok first you will need a fresh fecal sample and it can't be in or from water. The drugs used to treat this condition are not OTC, so you have to go to the vet. They are administered orally.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

The drugs used to treat this condition are not OTC, so you have to go to the vet.
    While this statement is largely true, and all but the most experienced frog keeper needs to visit the vet anyhow to get the drugs administered, all of the drugs in question are available legally without prescription if you know what you're looking for. As soon as Kurt writes his "howto", I'll add to it with details of what I mean. However, 99% of hobbyists do not have the knowledge, skill and experience to medicate their own frogs and administer the treatments.

Kurt

And I only know what I know from keeping all the frogs I do and from working closely with my vet, who I am going to ask to help me with this project.

into

I wasn't about to self-treat, just curious about the process/time/cost etc.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by into View Post
    I wasn't about to self-treat, just curious about the process/time/cost etc.
    I wasn't singling you out - I was simply putting a clear warning on what I was saying.

into

A week and a couple days and she's doing great. She started pooping regularly and eats like a pig! I see less and less of her bones everyday plus she's become an awesome vibrant green color. She's less nervous but still very cautious. If she is out, she will not take her eyes off of you and if you sit on the floor, she'll jump on your head.

Dumper is good too. He's really chubbin up so he's on a strict 2 crickets a night diet (he always wants more) his eyebrows are getting very puffy so I thought I would start now before he turned into a big gooey WTF.

I know they are not social, but Dumper can see her across the room and he paces back and forth in his tank when she's out with me. Maybe she looks like food to him or maybe he's jealous? I know, human emotions... but I do wonder what they think about.

Jace

She is gorgeous Chris! Glad to see she is doing so well-not that anyone had any doubts.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Hi Chris, Im just amaized with how great she looks in such a short time, you are doing a great job. Dumper is awesome and you have some real cool photo's of him. Ive always love the look of WTF as they have that cute chubby look about them. I wish I could get one, (I may have to move) but thanks for the up date on your new girl. Do you have a name for her yet?

into

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony View Post
    I wish I could get one, (I may have to move) but thanks for the up date on your new girl. Do you have a name for her yet?
    I named her Jade, like the green gemstone.

Why can't you have a WTF in your country?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information