Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big eyed Tree Frog

clownonfire

Default Big eyed Tree Frog

Hi all,

Well, as some of you know, I just got two beautiful thumbnail frogs. As if they weren't keeping us busy, we decided to take care of a big eyed tree frog which belonged to a friend and had a slightly boring life.

Of course I have a few extra terrariums which I will update for him (I think it's a male by the brownish throat after his creamy belly). And we do not mix species (we have 5 different species of frogs home).

My questions:

1. Are Big Eyed Tree frogs the same as peacock frogs (mine seems to have a triangle on the back, like peacock frogs I think).?

2. Is there a care sheet on this forum for big eyed tree frogs?

Thanks,

Eric

Here are pics if it can help you...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Big eyed Tree Frog

O...M...gooddness that frog is simply adorable! >< I knew it would be, with it's name being big-eyed tree frog. XD

Congrats on the new babies, they're in a good home.

4. This member thanks Kisa for this post:

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by Kisa View Post
    O...M...gooddness that frog is simply adorable! >< I knew it would be, with it's name being big-eyed tree frog. XD

Congrats on the new babies, they're in a good home.
    Thank you, Kisa. I will take better pictures tomorrow. Sara and I are putting the finishing touches to the new 35G vertical terrarium, with vines, plants, and lots of leafage to hide and climb on....

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    Thank you, Kisa. I will take better pictures tomorrow. Sara and I are putting the finishing touches to the new 35G vertical terrarium, with vines, plants, and lots of leafage to hide and climb on....
    Wow I bet it'll be like a luxury apartment for that little guy, like when I put Bruce in the 33 gallon. XD I hope he doesn't get too lonely in there...):

How big is he/she? O:

Nationality
    [United States]

1. Are Big Eyed Tree frogs the same as peacock frogs (mine seems to have a triangle on the back, like peacock frogs I think).?
    Yes, Big Eyed Tree frogs are the same as Peacock frogs.

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by tjtreefrog View Post
    Thank you, Thomas!

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by tjtreefrog View Post
    Not 100% true. Big-eyed treefrogs are actually several species in the genus Leptopelis. Peacocks are Leptopelis vermiculatus and they are sometimes sold under the name big-eyed treefrogs, but so is L. flavomaculatus and L. uluguruensis.

Eric, your frog is either L. vermiculatus or L. flavomaculatus, I have a tough time telling the adults apart from each other. The problem with vermiculatus is that it loses its juvenile colours and markings as it matures. Too bad because they are stunning when they are young.

10. This member thanks Kurt for this post:

Animalnstinct

That is an adorable frog! Really nice pics!

clownonfire

Kurt, thank you for the detailed message. I have googled a bit on it after your message and did see the green phase of that frog.

As for the care sheet, I've based myself on gray tree frogs for his terrarium. Hope that is alright.

And thank you Jenn. I completely agree, it's one cute frog.

John911

We love ours...whatever they are. They seem to be pretty hardy.

14. This member thanks John911 for this post:

clownonfire

Beautiful, John.

Ill take a few pics of mine as soon as he settles in. His vivarium is done. And he's hiding comfortably in it right now. Cheers,

E.

clownonfire

Here's the terrarium. It's a 35 gallons vertical. There is a layer of hydro balls, earth, coconut husk and forest mix. We've planted philodendron, there's croton, green spider plants and a Janet Craig dracena. It still is freshly planted, so it looks a tad spare. The philodendron will help for the time being serve as cover for the frog.

The vines are artificial but are extremely sturdy and will be useful.
    Last edited by clownonfire; January 30th, 2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Added info.

Leefrogs

No name game with this guy? Name em Woody!! U went mickey and Malory for last two, your an NBK fan, no1 couldve done it like woody!!!

clownonfire

HA! I love the name Woody (I'm a big Woody Allen fan). But I'm also web obsessed. I thought Google was funny, also with the eyes...

Leefrogs

LOL .... Fits!

xdartfrogx

Your frog in the pic is def a Leptopelis vermiculatus. It's still green like phase A but the golden is starting to show. It is merging onto the adult path but not sexually mature yet.

Quote Originally Posted by John911 View Post
    We love ours...whatever they are. They seem to be pretty hardy.

clownonfire

Our big eyed tree frog came out last night, after a few hours in the new terrarium. He woke us up this morning around 6am, perched on a vine, covered and protected by leaves around, comfortable in the dark, and croaking his heart out. Man, I’ve heard my fire-bellied toads sing, but this was precious.

xdartfrogx

Was the croaking pronounced like a grrrrrr- hum? I wish I could here him. I know the L. vermiculatus calls cause I have so many boys that call at night. I hope you love their voices as much as I do!

Our big eyed tree frog came out last night, after a few hours in the new terrarium. He woke us up this morning around 6am, perched on a vine, covered and protected by leaves around, comfortable in the dark, and croaking his heart out. Man, I’ve heard my fire-bellied toads sing, but this was precious.

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by xdartfrogx View Post
    Was the croaking pronounced like a grrrrrr- hum? I wish I could here him. I know the L. vermiculatus calls cause I have so many boys that call at night. I hope you love their voices as much as I do!
    It's hard to say... We have cats too, and for a moment, I thought it was our cats meowing. He is alone in his vivarium, so I know it was not territorial (and he is in a vertical 35G on his own). The fire-bellied toads vivarium is not too far from him, doubt he could see them.

But when I got up, he was perched on a vine, and looked very comfortable and happy. He sang for 10 minutes, then stopped. It was lovely, I have to say, even if it startled my wife and I as it was the first time we heard him (he's been with us for just above 24 hours now).

So, these pics were taking this morning when he was croaking. It's exactly how he was, and almost at the highest point of the vivarium...

xdartfrogx

He's calling for a female. They have a call for girls and a territorial call when they are in the mood. Here's a pic of one of my females. The patterns are extremely similar, but these guys do have a nice pattern variety amongst their species. The v on the back of yours is likely to change a bit more over time as mine did. I'll try to get a better pic of one of my males tonight for you to compare. The one I have with the best pattern is hiding right now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information