Thread: Josh's Frogs and Tiger-Legged Monkey Tree Frogs?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Josh's Frogs and Tiger-Legged Monkey Tree Frogs?

Does anyone know how often Josh's frogs updates their selection? I've heard really great things about them and was looking to buy another WTF some time in the future, once Bruce (My WTF) settles in and I know for sure he's 100% well and ready to have a tank mate (after the 30 quarantine of course).

I hope they update soon, right now all they seem to have are poison dart frogs (which are beautiful but I'm not experienced enough to be handling frogs like that), so I was wondering if anyone knew when they might be updating their stock soon.

If not, does anyone know any other reputable sellers that could give me healthy captive bred frogs? I've been searching around on the internet, desperate not to have to go back to petsmart, and found some good looking sights, but I don't want to jump into buying any if I don't know that the seller is trustworthy.

Also, within the next year or so I want to look into getting another set up and filling it with two tiger-legged monkey tree frogs, can anyone tell me what the differences are between the different types of tiger-legs? I've read that they have three different subspecies? Is this correct? And if I'm wrong please let me know, I am a total n00b. ><

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Josh's Frogs and Tiger-Legged Monkey Tree Frogs?

Oh its an addiction :-) I haven't bought any frogs through mail order yet but plan on getting a new Bumblebee Dart Frog soon and think its the only place I'm going to find one or two :-)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    Oh its an addiction :-) I haven't bought any frogs through mail order yet but plan on getting a new Bumblebee Dart Frog soon and think its the only place I'm going to find one or two :-)
    It really is, and a welcome one. I'd rather be addicted to frogs than some of the other drugs out there these days. XD

Before I even get my second WTF I bet I'm gonna have a few more lined up. >>

Where do you get your frogs Don? A private breeder nearby? I wish there was a trustworthy place I could go to to get mine from, I so wish I could pick out my froggies before I buy them.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I bought my Whites from Petco. The Red Eye Tree Frogs and the Dart Frog are from a snake breeding place in New Hampshire called NERDS. Not sure who they buy the frogs from.
    Their stores name is Zoo Creatures.

If they don't get any more of the darts I have then I'll watch Joshs and Alpha Pro. Probably watch Black Jungle too.
    Wish I was close to some of these reptiles shows.

Kurt

You mean like Manchester? LOL http://www.reptileexpo.com/nefirst.htm Oh and Black Jungle is in Western MA. And there is the New England Frog Group. New England is one of the better places to be if you're into frogs.

And to answer Kisa's question. There are three species of tiger-legged monkey frog, Phyllomedusa hypochodrialis, P. azurea, and P. tomopterna. The first two are small and very similar to each other, at one time they were considered the same species. The third is bigger and more spectacular, and is often called the super-tiger-legged monkey frog. In the first two the barring is limited to the limbs, but in the third its also found on the sides of the frog. P. hypochondrialis (northern tiger-legged) and the P. tomopterna can be kept similarly to Agalychnis callidryas, the red-eyed leaf frog. P. azurea (southern tiger-legged) should be kept drier than the other two.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Wow, thanks Kurt... look like I have a road trip ahead of me :-)
    I'm building a new viv for the dart frog and gonna need some supplies.

bshmerlie

Mike from Rainforest Junky&#039;s - Home breeds both the hypochodrialis and the tomopterna. He is THE place to go for tree frogs. He usually has both juvies and adults and has great prices. Remember the two most important things when selecting a new frog...1. Buy captive bred only. 2. Buy from the most reputable BREEDER you can find and skip the middle man. You can't go wrong with Rainforestjunkys.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    You mean like Manchester? LOL http://www.reptileexpo.com/nefirst.htm Oh and Black Jungle is in Western MA. And there is the New England Frog Group. New England is one of the better places to be if you're into frogs.

And to answer Kisa's question. There are three species of tiger-legged monkey frog, Phyllomedusa hypochodrialis, P. azurea, and P. tomopterna. The first two are small and very similar to each other, at one time they were considered the same species. The third is bigger and more spectacular, and is often called the super-tiger-legged monkey frog. In the first two the barring is limited to the limbs, but in the third its also found on the sides of the frog. P. hypochondrialis (northern tiger-legged) and the P. tomopterna can be kept similarly to Agalychnis callidryas, the red-eyed leaf frog. P. azurea (southern tiger-legged) should be kept drier than the other two.
    I knew you were the man to ask about these things Kurt. XD I saw you post a similar description of the tiger-legs on a different thread, but thank you for the deeper insight.

The P. tomopterna is what I'm looking for then, I see pictures of those the most on the internet and they are GORGEOUS. If I had known about these frogs before WTFs I might have started off on these instead, even though WTFs are probably my favorite frog. The coloration on the tiger-legs is just breath-taking.

I read in some care articles (which are really hard to find online btw) that they can be kept in slightly similar conditions to Dumpies, which would be ideal for me so I don't get confused on temps and humidity and all that jazz. Should I read the care article for Agalychnis callidryas and follow those guidelines if I end up getting one of the beauties? What I mean is, is that care sheet close enough to the care guidelines for the P. tomopterna or are there any modifications I should make?

Also, I read that a 10gal tall is big enough for tiger-legs, is that true of all three species or does the P. tomopterna need a bigger enclosure? I might get two and go for a 20gal tall, just to make sure I'm not cramping the little guys.

One more thing Kurt, sorry for all the questions, I want to be well prepared before I take one of these frogs into my home, especially after what happened with Bruce. I read somewhere that these frogs are represented by a wild caught group, is that true for P. tomopterna as well? I would really like to stay away from WC frogs just in case of disease and stress factors, it would be terrible if I got one WC and it died on me from the shock.

And about the reptile breeders, too bad I'm all the way in sunny southern california, not the best place if you're looking for frogs. Although there is a place down here not too far from my house that sells exotics of all kinds, tortoises, tarantulas, monitors, toads, frogs, snakes, chameleons, EVERYthing, called Prehistoric Pets. I am weary of buying from them though because I don't know about their return/sick animal policies and walking around in there and seeing some of the size enclosures they keep their stock in is just sad. They had a box turtle in a cage so small the poor thing couldn't even turn around! But I suppose they just don't have the space.

I might just end up buying my next frog from there, even though they're selling Dumpies for twice the price of what I've seen everywhere else, but with shipping costs it'd end up being cheaper than buying one online. I don't know, I guess I have some decisions to make.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Mike from Rainforest Junky&#039;s - Home breeds both the hypochodrialis and the tomopterna. He is THE place to go for tree frogs. He usually has both juvies and adults and has great prices. Remember the two most important things when selecting a new frog...1. Buy captive bred only. 2. Buy from the most reputable BREEDER you can find and skip the middle man. You can't go wrong with Rainforestjunkys.
    Oh thanks for the website Cheri I'll definitely take a look at his stock/prices. So I'm guessing you've had good experiences with Mike in the past then? It's always good to get a referral based on positive feedback. XD

My questions is would he be able to ship out to Orange county? Not sure what policies are with certain online breeders/shops, but I'll definitely take a look.

I really want to get my next frogs from breeders as well, petsmart did not do good things for me. >> Never buying from a chain store AGAIN. And yes, I know about buying captive bred, I hope I never have to have the experience of buying a wild caught animal.

Thanks. ^ ^

clownonfire

Kisa, I'm quite excited for you. You take great care of Bruce, I'm happy you want to add more... Looking forward to see what's in the future!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clownonfire View Post
    Kisa, I'm quite excited for you. You take great care of Bruce, I'm happy you want to add more... Looking forward to see what's in the future!
    Me too! I can't wait to get set up for my own menagerie!

I hope one day (when I move out and get my own place) I can have a whole room to fill with exotic froggie treasures. ^ ^
    Last edited by Kisa; January 29th, 2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Misspell :P

Leefrogs

I'd love a victorian green house all filled with plants and free range frogs. Like just a big bed in the middle. Maybe just all whites and tiger legs. Others would be too small and be eaten, even if it was a huge space, wait, crickets in the bed just ruined the thaught.

Kurt

And frogs poop where ever!

Kisa, I think a ten gallon would be fine, especially for hypochondrialis and azurea, and possibly for tomopterna, but ask Mike Novy for sure. Your best bet for acquiring these frogs is from Mike, who is a member here. I have two beautiful hourglass treefrogs from him and I love them. As far as care goes for tomopterna, I think you can follow the red-eyed care article, but I would still consult with Mike as knows a lot more about this species than I.

I have heard of Prehistoric Pets and I believe there was a write up on them in Reptiles not too long ago.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leefrogs View Post
    I'd love a victorian green house all filled with plants and free range frogs. Like just a big bed in the middle. Maybe just all whites and tiger legs. Others would be too small and be eaten, even if it was a huge space, wait, crickets in the bed just ruined the thaught.
    Haha yeah I don't think anyone wants crickets in their bed, but a greenhouse just for the frogs would be awesome. It'd be like those butterfly enclosures in zoos! Where the butterflies are just free to fly around you as you walk through. Visited a really great one in London last summer, probably the best zoo I've been too since San Diego back when I was a little tyke. XD

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    And frogs poop where ever!

Kisa, I think a ten gallon would be fine, especially for hypochondrialis and azurea, and possibly for tomopterna, but ask Mike Novy for sure. Your best bet for acquiring these frogs is from Mike, who is a member here. I have two beautiful hourglass treefrogs from him and I love them. As far as care goes for tomopterna, I think you can follow the red-eyed care article, but I would still consult with Mike as knows a lot more about this species than I.

I have heard of Prehistoric Pets and I believe there was a write up on them in Reptiles not too long ago.
    Alright, thanks for the insight Kurt I'll be sure to ask Mike when he gets back to me. I noticed he was a member right after I emailed him from his site. XD; Silly of me not to check here first I guess.

Unfortunately I just realized that another 20 gallon tall is out of my budget for now, especially if I end up buying two tiger-legs. Hopefully the 11 gallon 12x12x18 Exo Terra is enough space for at least one, although I was hoping I could get two.

I'll be sure to ask Mike, thanks again for the referral, I never would have found him or his site if Cheri hadn't said something. i had all but given up on buying tiger-legs in the near future.

A write up in reptiles on this forum? I'll be sure to take a look at that then.

Thanks again Kurt, I'll keep this thread updated with my future plans/purchases. ^ ^

Kurt

You're welcome. It was a write up on Prehistoric Pets in Reptiles.

Thread Information