Thread: Vitamins and calcium-how often?

Molch

Default Vitamins and calcium-how often?

I have some reptocal and vitamins from Josh's Frogs. I feed my lil' Pacific Chorus frog about 1-2 crickets per day plus however many fruit flies she can catch.

How often should I dust the crickets w. calcium and vitamins?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

lnaminneci

Default Re: Vitamins and calcium-how often?

Quote Originally Posted by Molch View Post
    I have some reptocal and vitamins from Josh's Frogs. I feed my lil' Pacific Chorus frog about 1-2 crickets per day plus however many fruit flies she can catch.

How often should I dust the crickets w. calcium and vitamins?
    I have 4 Pacific Chorus Frogs and they are about 9-10 months old. I feed them 3 week old crickets 1-2 times a week. (about 3-5 crickets per frog each feeding) I used to feed them 5 week old crickets but felt they were too big. In between cricket feedings I give them flightless fruitflies. I dust the crickets with calcium at one feeding per week, and with vitamins at a seperate feeding per week. This amount of food keeps them plenty plump. You have to be careful because they are little piglettes and will engorge themselves and get too fat. I had to put mine on a slight diet..

Also check out the Care Article for them Pacific Chorus Frog Care.

Enjoy your PCF, do you just have one?

~Lesley

poison beauties

Actually its pretty commonly preached that ff feedings you should dust every feeding. I would even suggest this with feeding out crickets as many do not properly gut load them.
    I would also suggest increasing the amount you feed but every other day or three times a week. 1 or two crickets doesnt seem much for a tree frog.
    As for supplements, I would suggest alternating a few of them as no one supplement is proven to be enough. I myself alternate Repashy IBC, Rep cal, Herptivite, Dendrocare and once every other week I use a human grade vit A supplement. Many frogs live with vitamin deficiency's that can lead to life threatening issues.

Michael

Molch

Quote Originally Posted by lnaminneci View Post
    Enjoy your PCF, do you just have one?
    yep; just one - she was an accidental stowaway in a box of veggies from Washington State. She rode in on the kale (that's her in my avatar).

Quote Originally Posted by poison beauties View Post
    I would also suggest increasing the amount you feed but every other day or three times a week. 1 or two crickets doesnt seem much for a tree frog.
    As for supplements, I would suggest alternating a few of them as no one supplement is proven to be enough. I myself alternate Repashy IBC, Rep cal, Herptivite, Dendrocare and once every other week I use a human grade vit A supplement. Many frogs live with vitamin deficiency's that can lead to life threatening issues.

Michael
    thanks She has grown enormously since I got her and is looking really plump. She catches tons of fruit flies in addition to her crickets. I've been feeding her as many crickets as she wants; she's usually done after two of them, then she retires to her favorite perch to sleep under the light.

hmm...so dusting vitamins once a week or every day? Any other opinions?

poison beauties

Ive been doing it this way for more than ten years with no problems though the supplements have advanced. Dusting with a calcium supplement alone does nothing for vitA which is what many amphibians have deficiency's for.
    Also it may be a good idea to feed as the lights go out for the night. Tree Frogs are nocturnal and their natural feeding times are at night.

Michael

Molch

thanks - yeah, I'm feeding either in the a.m before or in the p.m. after lights out.

do you ever worry about overdosing Vit A? I know as a fat-soluble vitamin it's possible to OD, at least in humans...

poison beauties

not at all. Ive put in a lot of work into making sure nothing in my collection is in danger. None of the supplements on the market have been proven to contain enough vit A to actually sustain the herp and keep deficiency free. Dendrocare and repashy are about as good as you can get when looking for a vit A loaded supplement. Vit A deficiency is can cause frogs a few problems including the toes fusing together and poor egg quality,

Michael

lnaminneci

Molch, I also gut load all my crickets in advance before feeding them to my PCF's. Good luck with your new frog, he/she might need some friends. They are very social and non-territorial.

~Lesley

Thread Information