Thread: Mixing Giant African Millipedes and Tree Frogs

RichardMoira

Default Mixing Giant African Millipedes and Tree Frogs

Hi All,

We have 2 American Greens and 2 Dumpies in a good size tank. We also have a Giant African Millipede (Archispirostreptus gigas - AKA Shelly ) in a different tank. I was wondering if they are able to live happily together in a single tank (the frogs)??? I think that Shelly could do with the extra space and the habitat requirements are very similar. I also think that it would provide a nice extra for the tank, especially during the daytime as Shelly is a bit of a show off and likes to come out during the daytime for a stroll.

If anything I am more worried about the frogs as the millipede is 12 inches long and would be a challenging meal for anything but the largest frog!! I also am aware that the millipede secretes a noxious chemical when she feels threatened and did not know if this would be harmful to them. They are bound to get curious, after all.

So, if anyone has any experience of keeping large millipedes with tree frogs I would be really interested to know if they are able to co-habit.

Thanks,

RichardMoira

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

amisbeef

Default Re: Mixing Giant African Millipedes and Tree Frogs

I don't have any experience of keeping the two together but I do have experience of keeping giant millipedes, both Archispirostreptus sp and Scaphiostreptus sp and I wouldn't recommend it. These millipedes natural predators in the wild are birds, lizards, frogs etc and even if your frogs do not attempt to make a meal out of Shelly, it will most likely be very stressful for it.
    I would also worry about your frogs wellbeing, as the millipedes secretion can be harmful to us, nevermind a frog with such sensitive skin. Your frog breathes and takes in moisture through its skin, and having such a simple circulatory system compared to ours, consequences of ingesting the millipedes secretions could be devastating. I mean, in the end the millipede has adapted the curling up or spray response to ward off potential predators, and that includes frogs. These millipedes wouldn't be around today if the spray didn't work at deterring predators

4. This member thanks amisbeef for this post:

RichardMoira

Thanks amisbeef,

I guess I was erring towards that conclusion. Especially pertinent is the fact that the frogs take in so much through their skin. Nice as it would be, the well being of the animals is the most important thing.

Thank you for your input. On the plus side I get to enjoy them in 2 different places

Kurt

I would also seperate the two frog species as well, for pretty much the same reasons.

7. This member thanks Kurt for this post:

RichardMoira

Thanks Kurt,

I will do a little more reading and see if they need to be separated.

Thread Information