Thread: Cleaning out a basic temporary Vivarium?

hereces

Default Cleaning out a basic temporary Vivarium?

I have had to remove one of my milk frogs from my natural viv and put it into a faunarium with plastic plants and a coco substrate (Due to nearly being eaten by a much larger sibling!)

My question is:
    How should I go about cleaning this temporary viv and how often?
    Also how often should the substrate be changed?

My natural viv is much easier to clean because of the springtails and woodlice, It only really requires the occasional removal of poop and glass wiping down.

I'm hoping the little guy will start to put on some size soon so he can back into the bigger viv.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

hereces

Default Re: Cleaning out a basic temporary Vivarium?

Anyone have any advice on cleaning this kind of set up?

Leefrogs

I am just as new as you and also posted same thing days ago. I've had my whites and haven't cleaned yet. They are messy too. Would like to know how often and and any tips on how to make it quick and if just hot water or the bleach I'd nessisary. HELP

bshmerlie

When im dealing with temporary diggs I keep it very simple so cleaning easy and quick. I buy a pothos in a pot that will fit my temp tank. I cover up three sides of the tank sometimes all sides if the frog freaked out. I put a moist paper towel on the bottom and a water dish. Every morning when the frog is asleep on the plant I lift it out, change out the paper towel, wipe down the tank, change his water bowl and then put him sleeping on his plant back in. Its pretty easy. When they're babies feed them as much as they want every day. They will grow pretty quickly. And remember it only temporary so it just needs to be easy to clean. As far as your permanent enclosure...if you have springtails, wood lice, and live plants with properly drained soil you should just have to spot clean it asyou have been. Once a month any sections of moss that look too trampled or "used" I take out and put in new stuff. But that's usually pretty minimal. When you're new your terrariums should be seen as a work in progress. Try different plants until you find what your frogs like. Different ground covers until you find what is easiest for you to maintain. That's how you learn about different things and the advantages and disadvantages of each one. I love the frog hobby and as a result I am always trying new things. Ive Tried just about every substrate or false bottoms you can think of. I've tried various types of backgrounds from simple cork boards... to great stuff ...to clay ...to the cement type. Then there's hand misting..to foggers ...to misting systems (my next adventure). The point is try different things...that will give you the hands on experience to find what works best for you. You will also see your terrariums grow and look more natural.

Thread Information