Thread: New Pixie - Questions!

CrystalJean

Default New Pixie - Questions!

I'm new to the forum and I have a few questions on my new Pixie Frog.

I work at petsmart and we had a pixie frog but no one wanted to buy her, so after about 5 months of no one wanting her, I finally took her.

I'm fairly certain she's a female because of the cream colored throat, as I've read that's what indicates it being a female over male. She's also about 4 inches and it dosen't seem like she's going to get any bigger.

I've got her on a diet of earthworms and mice (pre-dead).

My main question is, since I have her on petfriendly soil, when I try to feed her she ends up eating a lot of the soil before the worm. Its pet friendly so I'm not very worried about impaction, but still, sometimes I just can't get her to go into the bowl. (without me having to pick her up anyway, because she scares the **** out of me sometimes).

Sometimes she just starts eating the dirt for some unknown reason, and it's not like I don't feed her.

In the long run is any of the pet dirt injestion going to harm her? Is there a way to get her to stop doing it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Pixie - Questions!

Hi Jean, welcome to the forum. It's refreshing to hear of a Petsmart employee actually interested in knowing more about frogs!

While the age and the size indicate female, don't go by the throat - plenty of males have white or creamish throats - they just have more yellow on the lower parts of their bodies than females.

If the soil has no large particles in it then don't worry - these frogs probably eat all kinds of debris in the wild while trying to catch prey. You have the key to minimising it though - pick her up (come in from behind - Pyxies usually take aim at something not right in front of them, which gives you a warning if you come in from behind) and put her in the bowl, then feed her. That's what I do with all of my pyxies except on days when I am feeding a dusted prey item (so the dust doesn't wash off).

Does she have a name?
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

CrystalJean

Lol, thank you for liking the fact I want to know more. I work in the Pet Care department so I try to know as much as I can, for the chain I work in anyway.

Interesting about the throat color, I think I'd hope for her to be a female, having a male pixie is somewhat off putting.

I'll probably have to get over myself and start sticking her in the bowl, even if there is no real worry about the substrate ingestion. Always better to be safe.

No...I'm still considering a name for her. I thought about naming her after my manager but...that wouldn't be fair to the frog. Lol.

One more question for the night. Right now, I have "Bed-a-beast" as her soil product, it's pet friendly soil so there's no large particles or anything there, so, obviously safe. Do you know of any brands from maybe Home Depot I can try? I went looking the other day but wasn't very sure. I'm not opposed to keep using the stuff I have now, I was just wondering if there are any other alternatives.

Thanks for all the help!

Nationality
    [Ireland]

An artificial additive-free top soil product can be used but most contain pieces of twig and other organic debris so for a pyxie you should take this into consideration. Of the products sold at home depot (and walmart for that matter), I know of researchers who maintain frogs and toads routinely on Miracle Grow organic choice potting soil. Personally I use a debris-free potting soil when I can find one. If you have a garden that does not have pesticides (herbicides or insecticides) then why not just use the soil from there?

CrystalJean

I'll keep all of that in mind, while I do my research.

I don't garden but in the mean time, I'll keep what I have till I can find something else I like.

Thanks for all of your help and information, it was very helpful and most appreciated.

Now..to think of a name!

Nationality
    [Ireland]

You are most welcome. I hope you become a regular member of our site .

I work in a chain too ;O Petgoods <3 better than petsmart in my opinion but it is refreshing to see someone from a pet store other than myself that truelly cares ;-; makes deku happy!

Douglas

As John stated, as long as there are no large particles in the dirt, it should be fine. Things like bark, moss, and gravel could cause impaction. If you want to help prevent ingestion of substrate, use a feeding dish. I just use the lid from my worm container.

Sexing should not be based on color of the frog. Both sexes will develop yellow color where appendages meet the body. Males can have more yellow on the sides and stomach but this is not the best way to tell. In males, a large head to body ratio is a good indicator. Post some pics and we can give you our best guess.

If you stick your finger in front of a pyxie, it will most likely strike...they are aggressive eater. Come at the pyxie from behind and "scoop" it up rather than grabbing at it's back/legs which might seem like a predator.

Do you pick your frog up to place it in the water bowl? If so, this is not necessary. As long as the bowl can be entered/exited easily, the frog should go in on it's own. It you keep humidity up then the frog will get a lot of moisture from the substrate. If you notice the frog never goes into the water, a weekly soak might be a good idea to help it poop.

What is off putting about a male pyxie? They're awesome and actually the more desired of the two sexes.

Kevin1

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

What is off putting about a male pyxie? They're awesome and actually the more desired of the two sexes.
    I believe that is a matter of opinion.

Well let me see... whats sooo offputting about a male... xD Lets see I can name three
    a)They're HUGE-Worse pain
    b)More aggressive
    c)Alittle harder to handle.

Douglas

True, Kevin...but the more popular opinion is still to get a male. I can't wait for chubbz to fill up the 100gallon

And deku, they are huge but a pyxie really does not need to be handled much. If handled properly, however, there is a very low chance of getting bitten. The only thing I might see off putting about a male is the cost of food. But lets be honest, if you get a pyxie then you know food is not going to be cheap

Thread Information