Thread: Caging question

whiffer01

Default Caging question

what cage size works best. hopefully a 10 gallon because thats all the space i have.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

85MkIISupRa

Default Re: Caging question

a ten gallon is more then enough for a pacman. I have a divider in a 10 gallon where i house 2 of mine

Kevin1

I'll teach you a good rule of thumb. A fatfrog(pacman budgett's or pyxie) should be housed an a container that is 6-8 times the size of a square that is the size of the frog at rest.

jjmorton13

Quote Originally Posted by 85MkIISupRa View Post
    a ten gallon is more then enough for a pacman. I have a divider in a 10 gallon where i house 2 of mine
    You split a 10 gallon? I know these frogs don't move that much, but that is still really small.

85MkIISupRa

It's really not that small at all. My pacman only stays on the one side of the tank anyway where the dish is at. I just got a baby today so I notched the top of it and put a piece of plexiglas down the middle and it works great. I have pics of it I can post somewhere on here

whiffer01

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin1 View Post
    I'll teach you a good rule of thumb. A fatfrog(pacman budgett's or pyxie) should be housed an a container that is 6-8 times the size of a square that is the size of the frog at rest.

that graph really helps.

Greg M

Kevin, I think that's a reasonable rule of thumb. I personally think the "10 gallon" rule is not always appropriate (every care sheet on horned frogs says that you need a 10 gallon tank at minimum for a single adult horned frog) - your typical 3 inch male cranwell's is actually kind of lost in a 10 gallon tank. A cautionary note, however - the bigger the tank, the more leeway you have in terms of cleaning. If you keep a horned frog in a tank that is only 6 to 8 times the frogs "area", you must stay on top of cleaning or you really run the risk of bacterial ("red-leg") issues. Avoiding over-feeding your [adult] frog helps a lot (less in, less out).

jjmorton13

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    I personally think the "10 gallon" rule is not always appropriate (every care sheet on horned frogs says that you need a 10 gallon tank at minimum for a single adult horned frog) - your typical 3 inch male cranwell's is actually kind of lost in a 10 gallon tank.
    I think the "minimums" that are from various care sheets are good starting points, but obviously don't apply to every frog and every owner. Personally, I wouldn't go smaller than a 10 gallon for a full grown adult frog, or an adult anything for that matter.

Thread Information