Thread: WTF - new owner - quick(?) questions

samminmom

Default WTF - new owner - quick(?) questions

Hello everyone!

I just purchased a WTF on the 17th from Petco, and I would like to go back soon to get another one. Will I need to quarantine the newest member?

Also WTF is very small but the age and gender is unknown...any advice on figuring out age/gender would be great. (I haven't heard any sounds AT ALL from my new friend. I am assuming it is a girl). Upon this assumption I have named him/her Athena.

I have done a lot of reading and some things seem to b a little controversial. Such as:

Do quarantine/Don't quarantine if from same tank and/or breeder
    use distilled water for spraying tank/Don't EVER used distilled water

(thanks in advance everyone)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

samminmom

Default Re: WTF - new owner - quick(?) questions

Also...
    Any suggestions for heating and cooling the temperature inside the terrarium?

amisbeef

If the frog you are planning to get is from exactly the same tank in the pet shop, and its only been 3 days, then personally I would say it is unnecessary to quarantine your new frog. Aslong as you have an adequate size tank for your frogs, your frog in your picture looks gorgeous, and quite big!

Regarding distilled vs non distilled I do not know, I just use tap water treated with chlorine remover, reptisafe.

If it is your frog in your display picture, from what I see your frog looks quite large, so I would guess atleast 2 or so years old. My most recently purchased frog didn't croak for 5 days, and only then he croaked when I played audio clips of other whites croaking, infact he only croaks now when my others do. I wouldn't rule out anything for a fair few more days. If your frog doesn't show any signs of nuptial pads on its front 'hands' then another sign of being male is a slightly 'saggy' lower throat above the chest.
    Thermostats for your heat mat are a good way of controlling temperatures in your terrarium
    Hope I can help somewhat.

samminmom

Thank you for the help! I appreciate any and all input. My frog is about 2 inches.
    Also thank you for the compliment. Your frog is absolutely gorgeous and I love the picture!

amisbeef

Well at 2 inches I would guess that he/she is around a year old, probably a year to a year and a half but there are so many unknown variables, it'd hard to be precise! I hope you find out if your friend is male or female soon, I know how frustrating it can be not knowing

samminmom

Thank you for the advice.

So today I bought Him/her a friend. And When I picked the newest member up fromthe store he/she was a very dark color now that it has been a few hours it has turned bright green. Did yours do the same?

amisbeef

Yeah, most of mine have done the same when I've brought them home. Some took a few days to change and some just an hour. It's due to the change in conditions from the pet store and your own tank, things like temperature, humidity and even mood

Thread Information