Thread: Green tree frog has deformed face

Brandon

Default Green tree frog has deformed face

My green tree frog has a deformed mouth and his stomach has black spots. The other larger one i got the same day looks just fine. Anyone know anything about this? 3rd and 4th pics are the healthy frog.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lamb

Default Re: Green tree frog has deformed face

It is difficult to really see what you are talking about, although I can catch a glimpse of it in the first picture. Could you describe it in more detail?

Brandon

It's kinda hard to explain. Its always had a little bit of a red nose and now it seems to be a problem. At first i thought it was from jumping into the side or something but now you can tell his mouth is kinda crooked and misshapen. It often has its mouth all the way open like it hurts. Sometimes it almost looks like hes trying to throw up. I've seen him do this and fall off the side of the glass. Here are some better pics of it and the cage there in. Also hes a good half-inch shorter than the other healthy looking frog.

Brandon

Could it just be nose rub that got infected and would it be ok to put neosporin on it? I also just changed the setup. Got some stuff today.
    Last edited by Brandon; January 19th, 2011 at 12:53 AM.

Lamb

It looks like a mechanical injury to me (as if he ran into the walls too hard), but I've never seen one first hand. You may want to keep the terrarium warm and slightly drier to help him heal. Neosporin might help.

Brandon

I'm sorry to say he passed away today. He had that sore since i got him so i dont really feel like it was my fault but im still pretty bummed. Thanks for the help.

Eel Noob

Sorry about the loss.

Did you bought it like that? If so did you noticed it was like that at the shop? Just asking because I would never buy a animal that doesn't look 100%. From my personal experience with frogs by the time you noticed there's something wrong it's usually alittle too late.

Leefrogs

Im sorry dude. I feel for you.

Brandon

It wasnt really bad at all when i got him. It was just barely red.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Sorry to hear and chin up. At least he was in a better place than the pet shop.

Kurt

Sorry for your loss.

It looked to me to be an injury from excessive rubbing. Looking at your tank, I think it needs some foliage to prevent this from happening with the other frog. Treefrogs live in foliage and not having any makes them feel insecure, so they try to escape, which means they constantly rub their faces on the glass in an attempt to pass through it.

Again I am sorry for your loss.

Brandon

Thanks I didn't know that. I'll get some.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Kurts is spot on here... frogs love to think they are hidden and protected.
    Your setup looks great and adding a few plants will make it look even cooler.
    I like Bromalaids and golden pathos (sp?) for my Whites Tree Frogs since they are sturdy and as whites get bigger they usually won't trash the plants from their weight.
    My Red Eyes on the other hand seem to not out weight some smaller plants and usually spend the night moving from leaf to leaf and rarely walk around on the substrate unless its a cricket they are after,
    Any plants you add, just rinse off really well to remove pesticides and fertilizers before adding to the viv.

Check out some of the members photo albums for ideas. you don't have to go crazy, just add some to give the frog something he feels he can hide in/on/behind.

Good luck with your next frog.

Brandon

I just added a fake silk plant till i can get some real ones. Where can i get those you mentioned at?

Leefrogs

I've seen bromiliad at Walmart here in Wisconsin. I've also seen fake ones on joshs frogs and local shop. If u get a live one, water the center of the plant, should have water at all times. I think I've also read that metabolic bone disease causes the hanging jaw, cuz the bones are soft. Make sure u r giving your animals the vitamins and calcium they need.

Kurt

Based on the picture of your set-up, if you get live plants you will need some that are highly tolerent to having their roots soaking in water. Spathiphyllum is a great plant in this situation.

Brandon

Thanks I'll look into that and I shake there crickets with Rep-Cal Calcium with D3 once a day and with Herptivite once a week.

Brandon

I meant to put they're. I've got to correct that. lol

Thread Information