Thread: Hello - New to this site as well as frog ownership

samminmom

Wink Hello - New to this site as well as frog ownership

Hello everyone!
    I am really enjoying this site...and I am happy to have found this forum.

Yesterday I was in Trabuco Canyon (Santa Ana mountains in California) and a small tree frog adopted my boyfriend and I. We realized that we would not be able to provide an adequate habitat for the frog so I brought him back today (he belongs in the wild anyway). After researching more about frog species I purchased my Whites Tree Frog today. I am very excited to learn from all of you as well as share my experiences.

Pictures to follow shortly.

bshmerlie

Default Re: Hello - New to this site as well as frog ownership

Welcome to the forum. Its great to have you here. Check out the care sheet for Whites on the left. If you have any questions just ask.

samminmom

Thank you for the welcome!

I do have one question for now...I am preparing a bigger terrarium and I am looking for live plants that are safe (and liked) by WTF's...do you have any suggestions.

bshmerlie

Ooohhh!!! I'm not very good with plant names. I just go to home depot, Lowes, or Walmart and look for the large leafy indoor plants. Look for plants with thick stems or vines that will hold the frogs weight. Once you have them home rinse off all the soil so you just have the roots and them rinse them with a 5% bleach/95%water mix. Then rinse again with treated/ conditioned tap water. Then plant them into your tank. Make sure you have adequate lighting for optimum plant growth. Also make sure you have a drainage layer so the roots don't rot. LECA works good for that but some also you small stones or gravel. I use Pothos in my tree frog terrariums because it is a quick growning large leaf plant that is almost impossible to kill. It grows in water or in soil and it is very hardy. The vines on the older plants also become very thick to support the weight of larger frogs. Leave room for your plants to grown. You don't need to fill in every gap but also don't leave it too sparse either. Make them feel secure. Plants will also do wonders to help with humidity and overall tank quality. The also help to filter and break down waste in the tank. Also seed your soil with springtales as well if you can. They will help to keep the environment clean as well.

Kurt

Welcome aboard

Leefrogs

Plants. Well don't know how big of viv u r talking about. But I'll rattle on!! Mine always climb my mother in laws tounge. I only have 33 gal. Bamboo for climbing, fiddle leaf fig(big), asparigus plant, hibiscus, corn plant is everywhere, you can cut it and put tops in water to make height u want, there are many varieties, so make sure to feel sides of leaves to make sure they aren't sharp. Any kind of split leaf plant, philodendron, won't usually hold frog up, can lean leaves on vine for climbing. For cover or blind, peace lily works well, these also come in mini varieties. Read don lisks, bringing down the house, whites can kill plants. So a jade tree would be split in half, like dons aloe. U can group plants by moisture needs, plug holes in pots if u have under tank heater, as a cold water shot to hot glass causes stress cracks. Just make sure the toxicity of plants u chose, in case crickets eat plant, then get eaten by your frog. Good luck, can't wait for Picts !!!!

ARMS87

welcome

Thread Information