Thread: Frog in Need of Help

penjolly

Default Frog in Need of Help

Hello from Ontario. Sorry but I've never considered myself to be a lover of frogs but I am a lover of animals in general and have a little frog problem that I need advice concerning. I had a potted Norfolk pine outside during the summer months and brought it inside in the fall. Low & behold, last week I discovered a frog or toad living in it. Its eyes are open and I now fear that it may starve to death if I wait until spring (more than 2 months away here in Canada) to release it. Suggestions?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frog in Need of Help

Can you post a picture of the frog?

penjolly

Default Re: Frog in Need of Help

After doing some reading on the internet, I think I solved the problem - one way or another. It appeared to me that my frog (Ploppy) was trying to hibernate beside the Norfolk but it was too warm and disruptive to stay sleeping. So I prepared a bucket full of soft soil and old leaves, scooped up Ploppy and moved the bucket into my cold storage room in the basement (it is cool but above freezing). Initially, I turned the light off thinking he would go back to sleep but he remained active. Then, following further research, I realized that frogs are noctornal so I left the light on. He seems to have now buried himself into the dirt and has not resurfaced for a couple of days even with the lights off. So hopefully he can sleep peacefully until the snow melts towards the end of March and I can then return him to the wild. Sweet dreams Ploppy!

Thread Information