Thread: Species mixing..... at the Zoo?

Mattiez

Default Species mixing..... at the Zoo?

Disclaimer: I am not advocating species mixing of any sort, I just wanted to get your opinions on somethings I saw this weekend.

This weekend after doing some birding (saw wood ducks galore as well as a crested night heron) and feeding ducks & geese we went to the Zoo. Anyone who's been to Chicago knows the area around Lincoln Park Zoo (one of the last free zoos in the country) is very nice, and consists of a long stretch of parks, harbors and lagoons. Any way, I like to drop by every now and then and check out their amphibians. They have a bunch of bufo americanus, some bombina, and tincs. All of these species were housed individually in decent enclosures. The next display was nothing new to me been there for years, but after spending time on these forums it rang a new bell for me. In the tank was a Madagascar Leaf frog as well as this huge skink. I forgot exactly what he was, and do not recall where he was from. The display next to them had Hyla Versicolors with some box tortoises I think. I thought turtles carried lots of e coli on them, wouldn't this be potentially harmful to delicate amphibians like tree frogs?

I suppose depending on where the skink is from, these mixtures could occur in nature, but to me, a 3 foot tank seems too small to recreate such things....

What do you guys think? Are there any types of frogs that can be housed safely with each other or other animals?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Species mixing..... at the Zoo?

The furthest I would go with mixing is putting a Barking Treefrog with a Gray Treefrog. I feel that mixing other things is just inviting problems, even if it seems to work.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Mattiez

Even Zoos get it wrong, that's terrible. Everyone who sees it is going to think, "oh wow, I can throw some frogs in with my turtles, cool..."

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

A Zoo in my area had four different kinds of Poison Dart Frogs housed in a single terrarium no larger than a 20 gallon long. It seemed questionable to me.
    I would never house any kind of a Toad with any other kind of animal due to their toxic secretions, the same goes for many species of Salamander, especially Efts and Fire Salamanders.
    I've seen (in very very VERY LARGE vivaria) Green and Brown Anoles, House Geckos, Green and Barking Tree Frogs, as well as Grey Tree Frogs and other small Tree Frogs all housed in the same enclosure. The Enclosure was a living vivarium with lots of space for each creature. The Brown Anoles dwelled near the flooring, the Geckos stuck to the back wall and sides, the Green Anoles basked near the top all while the Tree Frogs slept tucked away during the day. At night the Tree Frogs, all of which were similar in size, would leap around looking for crickets. Each species had its own niche, were all gathered from the same area of Florida, and were of similar size. The Vivarium was alive with plants and living mosses and a pump driven water system.

Mattiez

That sounds exciting, I'd love to see pics!

StephenLS

I'd only consider mixing species from different niches!

I've been considering for some time now the possibility of creating a tall aquaterrarium with a relatively large, deep and heavily planted water area that could contain African Dwarf Clawed Toads and Reed Frogs. In theory the only contact would potentially be at the waters surface!

Any thoughts?

Mattiez

Those African Aquatic Frogs seem to be major Chytrid carriers. Could be lethal to the Reeds.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Diseases are a huge factor, Reed Frogs seem like something that would do best in their own terrarium.
    What drives me nuts about mixing a skink and a toad the most (aside from toad toxicity) is that Skinks and Toads dwell in the same niche in the Terrarium.
    I wouldnt try any wild experiments with community terrarium, it's best to stick to whats been successfully done before.

eipper

I keep Litoria peroni with Eulamprus quoyii without problems.

Cheers,
    Scott Eipper
    Last edited by Kurt; August 18th, 2009 at 11:30 PM.

Kurt

They only problem I see with that is you got to make sure that your frog does not poison your skink. Thats means daily changes of the water bowl.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I've seen skinks take chunks out of similar (or larger!) sized salamanders - no reason why they wouldn't try the same to a frog if they ever run into it. The fact that you're dealing with a tree frog should reduce encounters but I'd be a afraid of what might happen.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

eipper

I don't have a water bowl in the enclosure, as Eulamprus are semi aquatic they use the water as do the frogs. (the water is filtered and half changes are made on a regular basis)

At one stage I had Litoria infrafrenata, Eulamprus quoyii, Mixophyes fasciolatus and Wollumbinia lastisternum (Juvs) all together in a 4ft by 2 by 2 tank that worked well.

Cheers,
    Scott

Lady Leean

Cool Re: Species mixing..... at the Zoo?

I'm thinking about putting a Green Anole, some guppies, and maybe a gecko in with my gray tree frogs. Do you think that would be ok?

Baelari

Today seems to be a good day for necroposting~

As for the anole, gecko, and tree frogs... It's not really a good idea.

16. This member thanks Baelari for this post:

Treefrognewbie

i saw a video on youtube of this guy's aquatarium. He had two turtles, a crayfish, and tree frogs all in the same tank. i think it was a 20gal long. But yeah..

Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Leean View Post
    I'm thinking about putting a Green Anole, some guppies, and maybe a gecko in with my gray tree frogs. Do you think that would be ok?
    I know you have already posted a link about mixing and as before if you really care and dont want to chance harm to your greys or others it is never recommended to mix. Yes some do it and with success but you better have a huge terrarium to house them all with space, (community tanks need to be bigger than expected). Also research there needs that they all need the same temperature and humidity and safe plants and the toxins each animal might have and if they are harmful to each other animal.

But as I said it is not recommended and dangerous to your greys they are very sensitive and can become stressed and release toxins easily.

Thread Information