Thread: Fastset Mortar Mix - How many layers to apply?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Fastset Mortar Mix - How many layers to apply?

I have been constructing a rock background with construction foam covered with Fastset Repair Mortar Mix and Acrylic Fortifier. How many layers of the mix should I apply to the background. I have 2 on it now and it looks very good. The coverage seems very good.

Also I would like to give the mortar mix some color to simulate rock better. Any recommendations on what type of acrylic paint to use? I have tons of acrylic craft paint at my disposal. The type of paints you can get at Hobby Lobby or Michael's. I will be applying a thing wash of the paints to bring out the highlights.

Mike

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

onedge30

Default Re: Fastset Mortar Mix - How many layers to apply?

Pics, pics, Mike. We all want to see what you are talking about.

I would think 2 layers would be enough. 3 to be totally covered. They do make powdered colors to be mixed in with the mortar. But acrylics should be fine.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'll try and get a picture or two up. I ended up applying three coats of mortar mix. I also just applied some black aquarium silicone to the bottom and edges of the pink foam to hide the color as well as help keep the cement from scratching the glass. I still need to seal the back side of the rock face to seal the foam.

Trying to find what type of acrylic paint would be the best. There is just so much information out there, its hard to seperate the junk from the valuable information. Just try researching silicone for aquariums or terrariums. Some say GE SIlicone 1 is ok some say 2 is better. Some say don't use it at all. I purchased some and after getting home relized it says not for aquarium use. In more reading I have seen that aquarium grade silicone has a higer tensil strength then the GE 1 or 2 stuff so they won't recommend it. In my application I don't need the strength ai just want it to be safe to use.

Mike

onedge30

Any acrylic paint will do. I would use the cheap non-toxic craft paint.

I have used the general GE silicone to repair tanks for years. The key is to let it completely cure for maximum strength. Which if it is decorative, you just have to wait 24 hours. The only difference that I could find between GE 1 kitchen/bath or window/door is the the later is incidental food contact safe.

Nationality
    [United States]

I picked up some acrylic patio paint this afternoon and have started to paint/stain the mortar mix. I watered down the paint so it was more of a wash then straight paint. It's easier to add more then try and remove paint if there is too much. ( Guess my scale model building skills come into play here). The one thing I noted is that the mortar mix darkened and really absorbed the water. So this got me thinking about whether I needed to seal the concrete to make it waterproof? If so what product is safe to use?

Mike

P.S. No pictures yet.

onedge30

Acrylic polyurethane, I would think. Check to make sure it is non-toxic.

Now this is for a vivarium, but will not have any water against it 24/7?

Nationality
    [United States]

Well it will have a water feature. It will contain a waterfall where the water flows down the rock face into a stream.

I did find this product for sealing concrete counter tops which is non toxic and food safe.

Product Description

CHENG Sealer protects your countertop without sacrificing the warm luster and beauty of the concrete. A safe, non-toxic way to get maximum stain protection. It's the same sealer the pros use. CHENG Concrete Countertop Sealer leads the Countertop Care Product line, the only maintenance products specifically designed for concrete countertops. CHENG Concrete Countertop Sealer will protect your project without sacrificing the warm luster and beauty of the concrete surface. The water-based formulation of CHENG Concrete Countertop Sealer makes it a safe, non-toxic choice to get maximum stain protection and a beautiful, natural finish.

http://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Concrete...5052454&sr=8-1

onedge30

That's great.

Nationality
    [United States]

Jeff,

Ask and you shall receive! Here are two images of the rock wall in progress. Three layers of Fast Set Mortar mixed with Acrylic Binder have been applied to the hard pink construction foam. I have painted the rockwork with patio acrylic paints in a wash fashion. All the pink foam has been covered with a coating of black silicone for a more pleasing effect as well as to keep the water from hopefully seeping in or scratching the vivarium glass sides. I will apply a bead of new silicone to the glass and front edge of the rock wall to seal it inside the vivarium. Before the silicone dries I will push in some shredded coconut fiber to give it a more pleasing look. Where you see the green color is the location of the water flow area down the rock face and is intended to represent some algae or moss growing. At the bottom of the rock feature is a pcv drainage pipe that runs through the foam to the back chamber where the adjustable flow pond pump, 50 to 80 GPM will be. I also plan on putting a filter back there to help keep the water clean.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

onedge30

Looks great!

flynmnky

New to frogging, but you probably don't want to use a kitchen/bath sillycone cuz it has antifungal chems in it. At least you shouldn't use it in reef aquaria. Might not be as big a deal here but the regular window/door stuff doesn't have it. FYI, FWIW :-) looks awesome, BTW..

That's a good call monkey, but this thread is almost 2 years old
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

flynmnky

Default Fastset Mortar Mix - How many layers to apply?

Ha! Funny, well maybe somebody like me will read it later.

Thread Information