Thread: How to create a water area in green and golden bell frog enclosure

Default How to create a water area in green and golden bell frog enclosure

Hi
    Does anyone know of a good way to do a water setup for green and golden bell frogs? I currently have a little plastic container of water in their home but on the care article it says around 1/3 of the home should be water, does anyone have any ideas on how to do this with it looking natural and like a rocky area (check out Ebonys photo of the frog in the water as it's a rocky pool)? this is the url for Eonys photo
    http://www.frogforum.net/members/ebo...-nov-2010.html
    Thanks to anyone who helps
    Luke

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

pez

Default Re: How to create a water area in green and golden bell frog enclosure

What I did for my Lithobates was to put a styrofoam rectangle in the tank using pvc tubes as support and with black silicone glue some river pebbles and river sand on it and then glue it on the tank with silicone.

4. This member thanks pez for this post:

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Luke..This photo might help as well. I spot clean every day and syphon the water every week.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. This member thanks Ebony for this post:

bshmerlie

Chechen out Johns care article on the leaf that's titled "how to build a dart frog terrarium". At the bottom of that article he talks about using Leca for a drainage area and making part of the tank a pond. It is very easy to do. You could add plants and a waterfall if you wanted as well.

8. This member thanks bshmerlie for this post:

Hi Everyone thanks for the ideas but it's a toss up between pez's and Ebony's idea just about to look at the photo ebony posted and decide and once I've finished I will take a photo of mine, unfortunately at the moment they'll have to make do with this. I added an attachment but don't know if it will come up.
    Thanks everyone
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi everyone
    What water level is recommended for my frogs the biggest one is about 4cm na dI don't want to make it to deep incase they can't get out and drown. I'm about to go to the pet shops and price up some materials for the pond area never know might come back with something.
    Thanks Luke

jtay

Quote Originally Posted by Whistly View Post
    Hi everyone
    What water level is recommended for my frogs the biggest one is about 4cm na dI don't want to make it to deep incase they can't get out and drown. I'm about to go to the pet shops and price up some materials for the pond area never know might come back with something.
    Thanks Luke
    Hi Luke,
    I don't think the depth is too important as long as there are plenty of emergent areas, like rocks & plants, for the frogs to climb/sit on.

Jess

rach

Heya Whistly, I also have a simalar set up to Ebony but i have pebbles as substrate in the bottom of mine. I placed bricks where I wanted the plants and waterfall to be and once they were on top i built up the areas in front of the bricks with interesting river stones (bricks and stones were cleaned with water and then baked in oven first for sterilisation!) then i hid the bottom of the tank and bits showing through by chucking in a whole bunch of aquarium stones. My Golden bell is about the same size as yours and I have 3-4 inches of water in my enclosure. All my plants are potted eventually I'll silicone some sort of fake moss or maybe quickcrete or something on the pots so that they look more natural, I find it easier to fertilise them with that stinky fish poo stuff if I can just pull the plants out and do it outside.

Hi everyone
    Could I make a water dish out of clay and then wash of any nasties then reheat it or would it leech anything into the water? because everything in the shops is too small and overpriced
    Thanks Luke

Thread Information