Thread: Fruit Fly culturing

clownonfire

Default Fruit Fly culturing - Ranitomeya ventrimaculata

Hi all,

So there's a great article on this forum about fruit fly culturing (http://www.frogforum.net/care-articl...rosophila.html), which I've read.

We have a bumble bee walking toad, and we are seriously thinking about getting a Ranitomeya ventrimaculata from a Montreal breeder. I'm already feeding pinheads to the BB, but they're already too large at 2 weeks for the Ranitomeya.

Before we go forward though, we will attempt to breed our own fruit flies. We're rather hands-on and capable, but I would really appreciate some real feedbacks into it:

1. Some say it's really easy, and I've read it's a nightmare. Any experience or tips to share?
    2. Odor? Messy? It can't be worse than our cat litter....
    3. Any other specs forums or articles usually don't cover?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Eric

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Digital

Default Re: Fruit Fly culturing

The only problem I had with fruit fly's is when they escape, lol. Also when you get wild fruit fly's in the house cuss of the medium used to culture them. Honestly, I rather use worms then fly's or crickets any day. You might want to look into them, they are more easy to care for and easy to feed, with less of a mess. You can try black worms or white worms. Yoou can usually find black worms at most fish stores and white worms on ebay.

4. This member thanks Digital for this post:

clownonfire

Thank you Scott. For the ranitomeya ventrimaculata, if I were to feed him crickets, they would have to be pinheads of a few days only. The Ranitomeya ventrimaculata will reach about 1.5 cm when adult... If I am right, the breeder in question will give me the start up fruit flies for the frog, and I think they are wingless.

We have 4 other frogs which are all very happy on crickets, including our bumble bee walking toad.

bshmerlie

If your frog is that small you're going to have to culture fruit flies. You would also want to seed your tank with springtails and isopods. With the pinheads and the fruit flies you would have a varied diet which is best for the frogs.

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    If your frog is that small you're going to have to culture fruit flies. You would also want to seed your tank with springtails and isopods. With the pinheads and the fruit flies you would have a varied diet which is best for the frogs.
    It's a really good idea. Thanks, Cheri. Our bumblebee toad is smaller than 2 cm herself, and is eating pinheads right now. Fruit flies will be a nice addition to her diet.

Thread Information