Thread: Keeping Tree Frogs of different sizes together?

gray frog in manitoba

Default Keeping Tree Frogs of different sizes together?

Hi, I have an adult Tree Frog, and today aquired another but am not sure how old it is. I'm going to try to attach pictures - now seeing them together am concerned that the larger frog may make lunch of the smaller....any opinions? Have attached a side by side, and each in my hand to show the difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: Keeping Tree Frogs of different sizes together?

that's a beauty!! I don't know squat about sizing issue, or what the limits are really. But I hope my frogs get the size of your adult. I have 2 and they're size differece is only half inch. But the bigger one always beats up smaller one. I sugest hand feeding the smaller one(if someone says it's safe to house 2gether) because larger will intimidate smaller one, and get all food. How old is your big one ?

gray frog in manitoba

I've had the big guy for 14 months, he was just a bit smaller at that time - I have no idea how old he is. When I put his picture up the first time, the guru's said he was probably a wild caught adult. I do hand feed him, and let him hunt also - he has gotten pretty lazy...maybe a bit too heavy ~ not sure. The new frog did eat 2 good sized crickets from my hand and also caught a couple of smaller ones. It's now hiding....am just hoping it doesn't turn into lunch...though I've fed the big guy ~ so maybe if he's not hungry - things will be OK....if anyone else has an opinion - based on the pictures, I would love to hear them. Thanks!

Tony

That is a bigger size difference than I would be comfortable with. Here are a few pics I grabbed off google to illustrate how large of a prey item they will eat or at least try to eat:

Edit: There is also the issue of proper quarantine, the damage is done now that they have been housed together but in the future all new frogs should be isolated from established frogs in your collection for no less than three months to ensure that they are healthy.

gray frog in manitoba

oh geez...that's disturbing.....hmmm perhaps I need another tank, because this could be an expensive snack. Thanks for the pics (I thinks). The new frog came through a friend - its been living by itself for at least two months - so hopefully am safe there.....

Leefrogs

good luck with whatever u decide to do Lisa. I feel your worry. Ya, little monsters taking on what u think would be predators. Great job Tony, now I worry bout my fingers!! LOL

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Leefrogs View Post
    Great job Tony, now I worry bout my fingers!! LOL
    And you should worry...

Thread Information