Thread: Old ball acting wild

Leefrogs

Default Old ball acting wild

I've had my ball since 1992, he was 5. Anywho, in setting up my whites cage, heavy price tag. I looked over at my poor snake. Heat rock, water bowl and one cheesy decorated stick. Hhhmmm, I thaught I'd spent tons of money on these frogs, he needs atleast a hide. I went and found a nice driftwood bark and now he acts wild. He loves the bark, but hadn't visited his water bowl or heat rock in two months. As I was cleaning, he reared up at me, and barely missed. Although I don't think snakes can miss. He's never struck at me before, and had recenty eaten. I beleive just the smell of the wild braught back memories where he'd escaped. On those occasions(2x outside) he'd acted the same way(but not striking) and moving very fast. So do u all think this is because of age or the smell.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Old ball acting wild

Ah, here is something I really know. There is psychological phenomenon in which captive snakes will revert back to their wild behavior due to changes to their enclosure. The snake believes it has been released back into the wild, and will try to defend itself from people. After a while, your snake will get accustomed to you again. Now, I haven't had this happen to my ball pythons, but I have had my snakes get mites. When ball pythons have mites, they are easily irritables and will strike at you. You can look for mites by running your snake through your hands,and then look for tiny brown bugs crawling on your hands. Also look for raised scales all over the body. If your snakes have mights, their are special reptile mite and tick sprays you can buy at petshops. I think the kind I use is Mite Be Gone. Good luck with your pythons.

Kevin1

I think him missing is no accident, it sounds to me like fear. Being outside makes a lot of herps nervous. Especially the places we like to put them. For instance in the middle of the lawn or drive way.. on a tree branch..and such, they like to squeeze into tight places to feel secure if not at least under cover. Also I'd lose the hot rock, get a big heat pad. Make sure it's big enough for him to curl his whole body on.

Leefrogs

no mites. I helped a wild baby bird one time. That's bout my olny experiance with them. Gross!!! The bird nest was infested. No wonder the poor thing jumped out. But none on snake. Reorganized heat rock to go behind his bark, psyically put him in his waterbowl today. I think he's just so old, he's senile. LOL

Leefrogs

I'd hate to take his rock away. He's had it for almost 20 years. It's got coco husk all over it now. He loves that drift bark too!!! But after one sniff, wild man, watch out!!! Maybe it perked him up a bit. Ever since he's been in Wisconsin(10 years) he hasn't been eating well durring winter. Maybe 3 times nov to April. Maybe he'll eat monthy now. Maybe a good thing, I hear they eat less the older they get.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You talked about him being old and senile. In captivity, ball pythons have a lifespan of up to 45 years. I have mixed feelings about heat rocks. I've used them for years with no ill effects, but not as the main source of heat. I use a heat lamp most of the time, but in the summer, if the house is really hot I just use the heat rock.

Leefrogs

he actually stays 5 degrees warmer than the house. The cabnet traps allot of floor heat. No light, natural light gets to him 4 hours south sun in winter, and 2 hours west in summer. No blinds at all on my 9 ft windows. And I don't use AC. I think it's just wild smell from outdoors. Funny story, he's escaped his old cage(now frog cage) many times. The lid has 6 turn locks. He'd work on 2 locks for days, hitting them with his nose, and would pick the right two to get out. My smart baby!! Let's hope the froggies don't learn to use their thumbs!!!

Thread Information