Thread: Red eyed tree frog problem!!!!!!!!

redeyedboy25

Question Red eyed tree frog problem!!!!!!!!

Hey guys I just got 3 red eyes about a week ago and already one has died and one is getting sick. I have two males and one female and the female is big and fat. The two males were a little skinny and when they came in the mail one had a cut on its toe. I but the male that getting sick in a small dry container with a live plant. The female does not seem like anythings wrong with her,could she possibly get sick? The person I order them from kept them in a dry cage with no plants. The humidity in the day is 65-75% and the temp. is around 75-80. Please help I do not want any more to die.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tony

Default Re: Red eyed tree frog problem!!!!!!!!

It may be too late to save the sick one, but I would try dropping the humidity (no misting, but keep a bowl of clean water in there for soaking) and create a slightly warmer basking spot, a 15-25 watt bulb should do the trick (on during the day, off at night). Bacterial infections are common in imported red eyes and the warmer, drier conditions will help them fight it. I would also consult a vet, local would be best to get meds quickly if they are needed but if you do not have a suitable vet nearby you can contact Dr. Frye via email (dr.frye.dvm@sbcglobal.net), send clear photos and detailed info on the symptoms, origin of the frogs and husbandry. If the female is asymptomatic she may not require any treatment, but should be quarantined just like any new arrival.

redeyedboy25

Thanks Tony! The sick one has these neon green spots on is head and I knew it didnt look right so I took him out right away. Could the female stay in the tank if I drop the humidity and raise the temperature. When Could I bring any new arrivals? The tank could not be affected because the one male that died had a bruse under his eye and got infected. The other male just got the neon green spots and I dont think that he could have done any harm to the tank. I can post a picture of the tank if you like.

bshmerlie

Do not add any more animals to the tank. Remember frogs should be quarantined for 30 days before they are put in with a healthy population. Your female could be infected along with the tank if the dead or sick frog were in there at one point. You've only had them for a week. I would get the live frogs to a vet asap. If none of the frogs make it I would scrap everything inside the tank and start over with captive bred frogs.

Tony

Cheri is absolutely right about quarantine, do not add any new frogs to your tank without a proper quarantine period. I keep WC frogs quarantined until they show three consecutive months of good health. Some diseases, chytrid being a particularly nasty example, can take a long time to incubate and start to produce symptoms so in my opinion 30 days is an insufficient quarantine period unless you bought CB frogs from a trusted breeder.

Thread Information