Thread: All set to come home with Varaderos, but...

bshmerlie

Default All set to come home with Varaderos, but...

So I go to the Pomona Show today and I've got it all set up to come home with a couple of Veraderos....until I phyisically see them. Now...everyone tells you they are small and they are called "thumbnails" for a reason, but you really can't be prepared for just how small they actually are. I'm not sure if anyone's thumb is that small. They should be called "pinkie nail" frogs. Small crickets rival them in size. When I got my baby red eye and he was about a half inch I thought to myself I could do darts....until you see these guys....oh my gosh are they small. pictures so not do them justice. Anyways, I listened to Johns advice and I decided to pick up a Cobalt pair from Taron at Reptiles Excetra. They have nice markings and...you can actually see them. I also bought a tank that was a premade setup. Now...I know you're probably thinking,"aww you let someone else setup your tank for you". Yes I know...but when you see the design its really cool. I'll post some pictures of everything tomorrow. And you know I'll change everything a million times.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Woodsman

Default Re: All set to come home with Varaderos, but...

Hi Cheri,

I think you made a wise decision. While the Varaderos are a very popular frog right now (as they were recently introduced to the hobby by Mark Pepper at Understory Enterprises), I wouldn't consider them a beginner dart frog. Once you become really familiar with producing fruitfly cultures (and producing the really "runty" melanogasters that the young Varaderos need), I think they are a great addition to your collection.

The Suriname Cobalt tinctorius is a great frog, very bold and hardy. If you have the time to feed them a small amount of food every day, that's better than every other day or once a week. You just want to make sure that the ffs from the last feeding are all eaten before adding more (as too many ffs can stress a tinctorius out). You can put a small piece of banana in the viv and this will create a little feeding station for the frog.

Good luck with them! Richard.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: All set to come home with Varaderos, but...

Hi Cheri,
    Congrats on the new viv and darts. Yeah, they are dwarfed by a dime ;-)

Can't wait to see pics

Thread Information