Thread: Ammonia/nitrite sensitivity

rhunter513

Default Ammonia/nitrite sensitivity

My set-up is complete and I am ready to add FBT. How sensitivite are they to ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? The water portion of my tank is not cycled and I am wondering if I need to cycle it before adding the FBT. I know they don't breath with gills like fish but are they still sensitive to ammonia nitrite?

What method to you use to cycle your FBT tank?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ArizonaFrogGuy

Default Re: Ammonia/nitrite sensitivity

As far as I'm aware you dont really need to worry about cycling a tank for FBT's. I never cycled mine and I have 6 happy and healthy toads. As long as your water is declorinated and its running thru a filter in your tank you should be good to go.

bshmerlie

Yeah, no need to cycle. But I do highly recommend a filter because fire belly toads are messy little boogers. They are very Hardy though.

rhunter513

The water has cleared up. I added a few aquatic plant to the wet portion and I "seeded" the water with some gravel from my freshwater fish tank. I am still gonna wait a few more days to be sure everything is good before I add the toads.

Glad to hear you solved it. You could also consider a permanent ammonia gas detector.

Thread Information