Thread: Newbie looking for advice on first frog!

blondie

Default Newbie looking for advice on first frog!

hi, new to this site but hoping you can help me. I would like to start a frog set up at home. I don't have the space for a huge set up (already have fat tailed geckos that take up a lot of space!)

I am keen on a type of tree frog as I understand that I can have a taller tank as they like to climb, this would take up less space and think it would look nice too.

Went to a local reptile shop and I was shown a peacock tree frog that was lovely (one female on her own) I've done a bit of research and some say this an easy frog to keep an others say it isn't...

What would you guys advise? as I say I'm looking for a tallish tank that isn't toooo big, quite happy to have one frog if it is happy on its own.

cheers for any help, want to know what I'm doing before jumping in and buying the little girl...

bshmerlie

Default Re: Newbie looking for advice on first frog!

Welcome to the forum Blondie. I don't know that much about peacocks but I do know that they turn brown as adults. As far as tree frogs go in general you'll want to get a tank that is at least 18 inches tall. It should have lots of large leaf pants with sturdy vines for them to climb in. Live plants look more natural and help with moisture retention. Most tree frogs do need good ventilation so a tank with a secure screen lid is preferred. If you're going with the peacock Google care sheets for them.

blondie

Smile Re: Newbie looking for advice on first frog!

hi!

Thanks for reply, yeah the frog I saw seems to be a less poopular type (may be because they are a brown colour) so its a bit harder to get good info on it. The female in the shop is already brown so wondering how old she might be...!

Thanks for info on the tank, want to make sure I get the right set up from the start and there is so much info on the internet sometimes its difficult to filter.

I keep seeing the Exo terra set ups on websites so thinking that the medium rainforrest one would be a good start (med size is 45x45x60 cm)....by the sounds of it the tank needs to be set up for a week or so before I introduce the frog so I might get it going and then see what frogs are available then?

Just been looking at some pics and there are some lovely frogs out there, Thinking I might get the tank set up and then see what frogs are best suited to it and which ones are available at the time? Like I say I like the girl I saw in the shop but may be something more suitable is out there! I'm always open to any other suggestions...

Thread Information