Thread: Malaysian Leaf frog megophys Nasuta

phoebe froggy

Default Malaysian Leaf frog megophys Nasuta

Hi,I have seen one of these males for sale for £50,his age is unknown,I really like him,he is about 2 1/2 - 3 inches and I am wondering how long these live for and if £50 is too much money for his unknown past,what do you all think please?Thanks Jackie Frog

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

phoebe froggy

Default Re: Malaysian Leaf frog megophys Nasuta

Any ideas guys?How do I know it isnt a wild caught one full of parasites and may die?Is £50 too much?if so what is a sensible offer?Thanks

Viv

Usually the person who is selling will be able to tell you if it was CB or WC. Some people from our side of the pond have been selling them at around 70 US dollars. Don't know how much that is in pounds so I don't know if it is a good offer. You should really try to find CB ones.

5. This member thanks Viv for this post:

I don't think many people breed megophrys, there are but few in numbers.

michael

The vast majority (probably 99%) of M. nasuta on the market, at least in the U.S,. are wild caught imports. I don;t know what the importation laws are like in Britain, but I would suspect that the Megophrys you saw for sale are wild caught also.

This species has occasionally been bred (at least in Europe) since the 1960's-70's. There is only one published report of these guys being bred in the U.S. to my knowledge.

bshmerlie

If you really want the frog and suspect he's wild caught get with a dealer that you know imports frogs in the UK and ask them what treatment they are using on frogs when they first get them in to treat them for parasites. It is always best to get a captive bred frog if someone breeds them over there. Not only because of parasites but because they handle captivity better since they've never known anything different. Plus the stress of capturing and shipping frogs can weaken the frog's immune system and leave him suseptable to other illnesses. Prices on frogs is going to be different from the US compared to the UK. I think it's more about what is the frog worth to you. Ask anyone who's been in the hobby long enough and we've all passed up on something we wanted because we thought it was too expensive at the time and then you never come accross it again. You kick yourself in the butt and wished you would have bought it when you first saw it. Check around, do some research and make the decision that is best for you.

Wild caughts are disasters when trying to acclimate, particular when trying to feed them. I read sometime ago that Megophrys are reportedly pretty resistant to chytrid, and susceptible to it only under stress. They are carriers in some ways.

Anthony

There is a guy who has CB you just need to look around £50 is to much for just the one.

Thread Information