Thread: Greetings from New Hampshire

lianashep

Default Greetings from New Hampshire

Hello Frog community,

Santa brought my 9 year-old frog lover daughter two juvenile white's tree frogs this Christmas. As expected, I (mom) am doing all the researching and feeding and caring, but quite unexpectedly, I have fallen madly in love with them! "Pickles" has doubled in size since we got him 18 days ago, but "Pepper" has remained pretty much the same. She's not a very effective hunter (one cricket actually hid under her while evading Pickles) and seems content to eat one cricket while Pickles leaps across the tank picking off the rest one by one. I tried feeding Pepper separately - first removing her from the tank to feed and then removing Pickles from the tank while she had full reign - but nothing changed. She doesn't appear to be impacted (watched her poop the other day) Could they possible be that different in nature or should I be trying to locate an exotic pet veterinarian?

P.S. I say "he" and "she" without knowing for sure. How can I tell?

bshmerlie

Default Re: Greetings from New Hampshire

Some frogs do tend to eat more than others. Pickles may just be really hungry. As long as Pepper is eating and pooping I wouldn't worry about it. You can try feeding with a small cricket bowl near where Pepper sleeps so when he wakes up he will see them. I would definately not remove them for feeding as that usually puts added stress on the frog and then they definately won't eat. Why don't you post a picture of your frogs and their enclosure so we can see how you have everything set up. Also post your temps and humidity. This way we can give you better advice. Frogs do have a period of time which we call the breaking in process. They are getting use to their environment and the routine. As long as you are meeting their needs, they have plenty of hiding spots, then they will be just fine. Also girl frogs do tend to grown much faster than the boys if they are juvies. 18 days is a pretty quick growth spurt but you didn't mention how big your frogs were when you got them. Take measurments of them if you can as they are sleeping.

Leefrogs

Default Re: Greetings from New Hampshire

ya I too got whites for my frog loving child. I figure I'm saving masses of wild populations by doing this. I have tweezer fed my frogs since day one. So I'd say pick a time of day for treats. Set the big one (away from small) in special spot. And favor the Little guy. Soon at the appointed time they will be waiting in their spot. I have a larger agressive frog who will actually attack smaller one. So just give pickles a treat, enough to keep him
    there, and stuff pepper. I just give mine a meal worm every-other-day. Watch for buldging seams, the pink between white and green. As far as sexing, males will call and grow dark toe pads. Males also stay smaller than the girls. Go to utube for frog calls. Mine will even call to my horrible frog immitation. Sometimes we just have to wait. Mine are of unkown age, but 3 and 2 1/2 inches. Petco didn't have many answers for me. Mine also have developed very small spots with dark outline. Don't freik out, like I did. They're too small for camera to show. But normal for some frogs.

Thread Information