Thread: Tips for keeping glass frogs

pez

Default Tips for keeping glass frogs

I have noticed the growing interest in glass frogs, true glass frogs. So here are some tips on how to maintain them and how their terrarium should be.

Glass frogs

*In most species males are very territorial, so you have to be sure that either you have a big tank or have a male and a female, or several females...

*This frogs are strictly nocturnal and only eat at night when it is totally dark, so they have to be fed when evereybody is going to bed or feed them and cover their tank with something -not plastic- and make sure it is totally dark inside the tank.

*Make sure to give them food variety. A combination of fruit flies, crickets and springtails.

Terrarium
    (Yes, thats me, thats the place where I saw them.)

*The size of the tank will depend on the amount of frogs, specially males.
    More males = Bigger tank.

*The tank has to be big enough to have some mini-pond, or even better a mini stream.

*The tank needs to have abundant vegetation specially over the water. The plants need to have smooth leaves.

Reproduction

*Have some kind of stream in the tank, not a water bowl, a fast moving stream.

*In most species the reproduction is during the rainy season so to reproduce them in captivity, is needed to increase the humidity and simulate artificial rain.

*Make sure to have vegetation hanging over the water so the males can call and the eggs can be laid.

In most species the parents will takes care of the eggs until they hatch -15 days- then the tadpoles will fall into the strean and can be collected and taken to another tank.

2. 2 members thank pez for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: Tips for keeping glass frogs

This is a great post. It is so cool to see where the frogs are actually living. I have so many questions. How high off the ground are they?How close to the waters edge are they? Do they go into the water to soak or does it rain so much they don't have to. What's the population density? Is it a random frog every 20 meters or are there frogs in groups everywhere?

pez

Default Re: Tips for keeping glass frogs

Ok , let me see...

How high off the ground are they? They can be from 4 meters to 30 centimeters.

How close to the waters edge are they? As close as the tip of the leave is (in most species)

Do they go into the water to soak or does it rain so much they don't have to? They dont get in the water, it rains, A LOT.

Is it a random frog every 20 meters or are there frogs in groups everywhere? There where a bunch of frogs in 9 meters area.

Cant answer about the population density, sorry.

The place where I saw them is up the river, in the upper part of the photo, where the stones slow down the water. I didnt took any photos because I couldnt carry the camera in the river.

Any doubt, I am glad to help.

Thread Information