Thread: Green Tree Frog Bloated after recapture

juls

Default Green Tree Frog Bloated after recapture

Hello,

It must be more than a month since we had two (approx 3 years old) green frogs escape from their enclosure.

After giving up hope now of finding them, one turned up looking relatively healthy last night.

I cleaned out the enclosure (had been packed away in the garage after we had given up hope) and refilled it.

Water temp was approx 33 deg c and the frog was room temperature when I introduced it onto a rock.

I fed him two small portions of thawed blood worms (approx 1/4 teaspoon size) but then he refused to eat more. He seemed to croak very quietly a few times as i fed him. The frogs had not croaked in the last 2 years or so.

He then entered the water and was looking a little bloated. (last night) He was in pretty much the same position in the water and more bloated this morning.

I softly picked him up just out of the water and he expelled some air. He is still bloated in the water clinging to the branch as pictured.

Can anyone suggest if he will be alright, is there anything I should do?

'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: Green Tree Frog Bloated after recapture

I didn't know whites could be kept aqatic. I'm from the US, and this animal is not native here. But we buy these from store and only give them a bowl of water. As far as bloat, I have no idea. But if he was loose in your house for a month, maybe he liked being on land. I don't know. Give him a stick, see if land us what he wants. In my caresheet it says whites can drown. Im confused

Jace

Your title for this thread says "Green Tree Frog" but I have to say, your frog looks like a White's Tree Frog. Either way, there is an awful lot of water in your setup for either species. As well, frozen blood worms would not be a recommended menu item. Crickets would be the food of choice for both Green Tree frogs and White's Tree Frog. Please see the caresheets to the left of your screen: we have one specifically for a White's and the Gray Tree frog can be used for a Green Tree Frog. However, your frog is definitely not a GTF.....

juls

Definitely a Australian Green Tree Frog. Fed blood worms as an emergency as I didn't have any crickets and expected he would be hungry

It has dry land to climb onto but when i put him on it he slides back into the water.

Perhaps hes dehydrated and absorbing water, or perhaps the blood worms were a bad idea and he ingested them the wrong way? They had happily eaten blood worms previously.

I understand green tree frogs dont need heaps of water however I think this tank is set up this way to keep the humidity and temperature up considering they are a tropical frog and it is somewhat cooler where I live.

amisbeef

I'd imagine that your frog his so bloated because of how long he has been in the water, we will soak up the water when he is in there. The bloating or minimal eating should not be a worry to you.

However, the water level will be a worry as the little fella is clinging on for dear life as it seems. I think there is a little confusion, a whites tree frog as it is commonly named, Litoria caerula, is colloquially known in Australia as an 'Australian green tree frog'.
    Your water level should not be taller than your frogs head.
    I know you mentioned that he slides back into the water, but I'd imagine he is a very stressed frog right now and isn't used to all the water!

Your frog is definately a Whites tree frog, this is the care sheet which should be followed, I tjink there is just a cross of wires over colloquial species names.

Good luck
    Amy

amisbeef

Apologies for the poor grammar, predictive text thinks it knows better..

Sorry I would also say the water is too warm, the water area should be cooler than the substrate to allow for s quick cooling off area. Please put this species on dry land! Well.. moist land.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I agree, that is way too much water. When you say a land area, are you referring to the large branch? I would drain the water and replace it with coconut husk or sphagnum moss. Both of these substrates hold in large amounts of moisture making them excellent choices for tropical species. I would put a shallow dish of water in there just big enough for him to fit into. Most of his water should come from misting as this is an arboreal species. I would also try feeding him crickets, as this is a more natural food.

juls

Ok Ive tried putting him on dry land and will let you know.

Hopefully this is it.

Leefrogs

how's it going? Did everything work out ok? Your lucky to have this species just wandering around outside. They like to hide and like it warm. Hopefully everything goes all right, they live a long time. Post some new Picts add them to your alblum. Good to have u

amisbeef

Hey there, I was just wondering how your frog is getting on and if he is okay now?

juls

Thanks for your help.

After taking him out of the water for a day or so the bloating reduced and now the Little fella is doing well. He has returned to normal size and has his appetite back.

Still no sign of the other frog which is a bit sad.

Leefrogs

Good to hear from you!!! Starting to worry bout u and frog keeping your head above water. Flooding all over the place, kinda scarey stuff. Hope all your family ok. And hope water clears soon. Keep in touch Juls!!

Thread Information