Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of frog for a 5.5 gallon?

Zero138

Default What type of frog for a 5.5 gallon?

I'm currently using a 5.5 gallon tank for my crested gecko and am going to be moving home into his 18/18/24 exo terra in a few months when he's bigger an I'm going to have this tank left over. What type of frog would survive ots whole life in a tank this small? Or better yet I'm looking into getting the nano exo terra 8.5/8.5/12 would a frog fair better in that or the 5.5 and either way what would I be looking into? I really want to do a natural setup in there as a display piece so handling isn't a priority, meaning it's ok if they are just looked frogs. Any suggestions? I really wanna get the nano but idk what would be better? Thanks guys I really wanna get into frogs! The reason I'm not getting a bigger tank is because the space I wanna place the tank is only 9inches wide it's in a cutout that divides my dining room and living room like an indoor window, if that makes sence and the tank looks awesome there! Once I get into frogs more I'd probally setup a larger tank but I want this to be permanent for these frogs I choose as a display piece. My house gets down to 67 at night and up to 72 during the day. So thoses are the natural temps I wanna stay around although I have no problem buying lighting.
    Thanks again!
    Zero138

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

passon13

Default Re: What type of frog for a 5.5 gallon?

to my knowledge none... maybe an african dwarf frog but those are full aquatic... i have one in my 10 gallon

Zero138

thanks!
    Although im really wanting to try some critter.. Any ideas at all other than that???

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I would say a small dart frog species, like Ranitomeya imitator, or a small hylid like Pseudacris crucifer. Pseudacris crucifer (Spring Peeper) is native to North America and would be right at home in the temperature range you described without any other heating.

Zero138

How would a single red eye tree frog do?
    Also what types of frogs could I get for this size that I can have multiple frogs? Prolly not any huh? How would the pacific tree frogs do? I could catch one outside I live in Oregon! Or any other type of frogs I could buy I'm going to an expo on the 22nd what should I look for?
    Thanks again!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

That's too small for a Red-eye. I would say with the given dimensions of the tank (18/18/24), You would be able to keep 2 Pseudacris crucifer or a similar small treefrog. I personnaly think that a Pacific chorus (tree) frog would do well in these conditions. I would say a good rule of thumb would be anything under 2 inches.

Zero138

I think you've misunderstood my gecko is in an 18/18/24. I'm wondering what I could fit in a 5.5 gallon it's like 16Lx9wx11h. It's tiny lol

Wormwood

Anything smaller then a 10 gallon is a sad life for any frog, no matter how small.

A small tree frog still needs space to climb/jump and a 5.5 gallon simply won't give him/her enough room to strech the muscles.

The only frog I'd ever put in such a small tank would be a mini africian clawed water frog. They won't grow more then two inches (be sure you get the mini ones, the other kind get quite large), move about as much as toads and will eat fish food, dried crickets, little guppies and even small worms. A small fish tank pump to keep the water moving will keep the tank clean and going for quite a while, requiring little cleaning.

I had two during college in a similiar tank and they did quite well for the 4 years in my dorm. Easy maitance and they actually are quite a cute little frog if you get the spotted gray ones (the Albino white ones scare me!, hah). Nothing more fun then watching them chase tiny guppies and gobble them down.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...w_xKw5PjrtdvbQ
    Nice face shot of one.

Some larger ones eating crickets, earthworms and krill, but you get the general idea how they move and feed.
    YouTube - AFRICAN CLAWED FROGS EATING III

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by Zero138 View Post
    I think you've misunderstood my gecko is in an 18/18/24. I'm wondering what I could fit in a 5.5 gallon it's like 16Lx9wx11h. It's tiny lol
    There is no frog that will live comfortably in a 5.5 gallon tank. The minimum size is a 10 gallon and that should be a frog that stays really small. Tree frogs need to be able to climb and any animal does need to have some space to move around in. It would be like asking, will a human fit into a 4x4 closet? The answer would be yes. But if you asked if the human could live its entire life in a 4x4 closet what would your answer be then? What would that life look like? How would that human behave after a few years? How would they be physically after a few years? See my point? You're requiring the same thing of whatever frog you decide to put in there.

Seems too small for a permanent home for any frog. I have a young and tiny (<1") grey treefrog that's in an 8.5 gallon tank right now, and it will definitely be moving into a larger home sometime this summer. After it moves out I was thinking of getting a praying mantis to put in this small tank, they supposedly do pretty well in a small space like this and I've seen 5 gallons recommended. I think mantids are pretty, one would be nice in a display piece, but I have no experience keeping one.

I have housed various jumping spiders (one at a time for a few weeks at a time) in even smaller tanks, but they are usually not much to look at in the sense that you can't usually find them. Maybe there's an appropriate tarantula for a cage this size? Or you could breed a small colony of crickets/roaches in it, but not everyone would find this pretty to look at.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Zero138 View Post
    Yes, I'm sorry, that was a misunderstanding on my part.

Now, in his book, Tree Frogs, noted author and founder of Amphibiancare.com Devin Edmonds clearly states that a 10 gallon aquarium is large enough to house a group of 5 Clown tree frogs. Would it just be naive to assume that a 5.5 gallon enclosure would be large enough to house one Clown tree frog? If I am mistaken, please let me know.

Zero138

I'm so glad I asked you guys here! The local petstore said I shoul do dart frogs cause they have a setup of 4 in a 5.5 gallon and they are all healthy. That's sad. I was looking into one frog not 4... I guess I'll look into some other type if animal... Although what do you think of a 10 long. Same size as a 5.5 just 7inches longer? That would fit nicely In the spot I have. Any idea what animal I could put in here? Like maybe some small lizards? Like house gecko? Idk anyway thanks so much I may end up just using this tank for babies if I decide to breed anything in the future.

Zero138

Wow those are awesome frogs! Hat ever I get the tank will be heavily planted! 5.5 seems large when looking at it. My 3 inch gecko baby has been on there with plenty of room... How would 2 of those frogs do if the tank I planted well

Nationality
    [United States]

In my opinion, 2 Clown tree frogs would do well in a 5.5 gallon tank, but no more than 2. Using plants and small branches will increase the amount of area for the frogs to climb and hide.

Zero138

Awesome! are there any other small frogs that a pair would do well in there? im also looking into getting a 10gallon long it add 7 inches to the length so im hopeful that that will be enough room for these guys. but my search is not being rewarding so far i cant find a 10 long and i need it because of the ledge its going on is 9.5 wide

Zero138

OK so heres the new question what can and how many will fit in a 20 X high
    24hX10.5Wx20L

Leefrogs

just a tip on how to calculate gallons on tanks. LxHxdepth=then divide 231

Zero138

I wasn't asking about gallons I was asking how many frogs lol

Leefrogs

24x10.5x20=over 20gal. I'm not sure on what all could go in 20. I know one whites frog can be happy in there. Lots of branches to climb, hiding spots, 24inchrs high is perfect. Looks like u were looking at smaller frogs. I'd check care sheets on ones you're interested in. By the way, whites are the only frog you can handle on occasion. I own these, do of course my suggestion leans twards my opinion. Just make sure to give them plenty of time to adjust. I say get the tank, set it up, regulate temps fir a while, then bring frog ot frogs home.good luck making decision.

Zero138

Awesome I'll look into those. I understand that's more than 20 but those are called 20 extra high I didn't make it up that's what they are called.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information