Thread: Wood Frogs In Captivity

FrogFarm

Default Wood Frogs In Captivity

Hey I have been thinking about this for a while....

Would two Wood Frogs be happy together in a 15 gallon (24L,14W,10D) half and half set up?
    I'd like to get away with the smallest set up that I can without being unfair to the frogs.

I think it would be really cool to keep a pair of these frogs raised from tadpoles, especially considering that they are native to where I live which would make it really easy to set up a proper biotope for them. I figured I could just do it the same as I did as a kid and take some tads from one of the local lakes/streams/ponds (Wood Frogs are EVERYWHERE around here it seems) and raise them to the terrestrial stage before releasing them to where they were taken from to begin with, only this time I would keep a pair in captivity. I kept a pair of Long-Toed Salamanders (which I would also like to learn more about and maybe keep again someday) to observe them before letting them go again, it worked out well and they didn't seem unhappy in their little habitat.

Another thing I was concerned/wondering about though is wintering, would keeping them in captivity be bad for this reason?
    This was my main reason for releasing the Salamanders I kept as a kid, I didn't want to risk harming them.

What do you guys think?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Iratus ranunculus

Default Re: Wood Frogs In Captivity

Fifteen gallon should work, though a half and half setup should not be needed. I would go with a woodland setup with a large water bowl. If you want a fixed water section, a third water should be more than enough. Remember, these guys are terrestrial outside of breeding.

Socrates

Wood frogs are primarily terrestrial and do not need a large water source (unless you plan on breeding them - but remain terrestrial most of the season). Also these frogs are rather small and I would recommend 5 gallons per frog at minimum. I would just try to make an environment that mimics woodland, which is where these frogs spend most of their time. So I would go with some leaf litter, soil, some live moss, a shallow water dish, and a few live plants to offer for hiding places. Hope this helps!

Wormwood

The larger the tank the better IMO, they are terrestial and they don't tend to sit in one place but enjoy moving around to hunt. I'd watch for a 40 gallon breeder tank, which if you watch sales you can get easily for $80 bucks, even cheaper at some expos.

I kept some as a kid in a similiar tank and they did just fine, anything smaller and they get legarthic. They are one of the more active frogs out there.

I would agree with the water situation though, a small dish (changed often) should be just fine. Keep the tank moist. Bag leaves in the fall for a few months to kill any parasites inside and use them as ground cover, those frogs are meant to blend in with leaves and it'll help them feel like home.

I wouldn't worry about winter to much. I keep American Toads and during the winter months they tend to slow down and eat less even with the house at 70-72 degrees. True hiberation never occurs but as far as I can tell they never have seemed to mind it.

Good luck!

Thread Information