Thread: When should baby Whites eat?

spankyg

Default When should baby Whites eat?

I have about 6 baby whites at the moment with more coming (I plan to let most go), which have just transformed into frogs within the past couple days. Their tails are getting absorbed and they are jumping around.

When is it that they begin eating live prey? I have given them a bunch of mosquitoes which are flying around, but they don’t seem to have taken interest in them yet.

I have cared for small frogs before, and mosquitoes seemed to work all right, but I have never had baby whites from tadpoles before... is there a period in which they don't eat?

I assume that in the wild it is rather tough for these little guys to find food… should I throw in some ants or something? Baby crickets when I get my hands on some?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

spankyg

Default Re: When should baby Whites eat?

I got them eating, all good...
    moved them to a smaller enclosure

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Wow, I can't believe no replies to this.... I don't have an answer to tat but I wonder if they will go for fruit flies .. since the ones you can get a a pet shop don't fly. Congrats on the babies too. That is so awesome.

You should put up some pics.... would love to see them.

5. This member thanks DonLisk for this post:

Leefrogs

I would love to see them too.

7. This member thanks Leefrogs for this post:

spankyg

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    Wow, I can't believe no replies to this.... I don't have an answer to tat but I wonder if they will go for fruit flies .. since the ones you can get a a pet shop don't fly. Congrats on the babies too. That is so awesome.

You should put up some pics.... would love to see them.
    Thanks for the replies you guys, I'll throw some pics up asap... its like 2 in the morning right now so it's pretty dark..lol

I've been feeding them moths, flies and mosquitoes. I'll probly pick up some fruit flies like you mentioned as well. Thanks.

I threw in a large fly today (almost the size of the frog itself), just to see if they'd go for it, and the biggest one did.... although it took him a good few minutes to swollow.

I doubt it was a good idea because i don't wanna over feed the little guys... but he seems to be happy lol, and it's not like i'm forcing it.. what's you're opinion on over eating? Can it be dangerous?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

My littlest Whites would inhale full size crickets that looked almost as big as him. I'd offer small and large crickets to the four I ave and the smallest one never had a problem, knock on wood.

pez

Its better to give them springtails or fruit flies(the ones that cant fly).
    They also need variety in their food so you should sprinkle some vitamins and calcium on their food (Rep-cal or something like that).

spankyg

My littlest Whites would inhale full size crickets that looked almost as big as him. I'd offer small and large crickets to the four I ave and the smallest one never had a problem, knock on wood.
    Thats hectic. I'll keep feeding them different sized bugs and see how they go.

Also Don, what is your take on the color of the frogs? I've noticed all of the white's I'm keeping are dark brown, I've managed to find a little info on color changes, but still havent got a straight answer. I live off the coast on a suburban island, and it's crazy humid right now (summer) so this might have something to do with it. They don't seem stressed as they are always eating and are reasonably active. If you've got any info on this it would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by pez View Post
    Its better to give them springtails or fruit flies(the ones that cant fly).
    They also need variety in their food so you should sprinkle some vitamins and calcium on their food (Rep-cal or something like that).
    Cheers for the tip pez

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm not an expert on this but they will probably change colors as they get older.

bshmerlie

With babies you shouldn't have to worry about them overeating just yet. Whites can eat pretty large prey so if you kept with the small size crickets that should work. Try different size prey until you figure out what they prefer. Sometimes if food is too big they wont touch it but also if its too small they wont like it as well. Also new babies don't eat when they are absorbing their tails.

14. This member thanks bshmerlie for this post:

spankyg

Thanks for the replies again guys.

heres some pics of the bad boys

Here is a pic I took about 3 weeks ago while they were tads, pretty crazy:

16. 2 members thank spankyg for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks for letting me know you posted the pics..... Wow are they so awesome!!! Thanks for sharing and hope they are eating well. Also hope your doing well if your in the flood area.

spankyg

Thanks for letting me know you posted the pics..... Wow are they so awesome!!! Thanks for sharing and hope they are eating well. Also hope your doing well if your in the flood area.
    Yeah man, they won't stop eating now hah, and they grow so quick.

And yeah I'm about an hour away from the flood zone so it's been all good, pretty hectic but, some of my family were right in it, had their cars washed away n stuff. A lot of homes lost man but i recently heard that over 500 people have died in brazil from floods as well which is terrible.
    Mother nature in full force mate.

Thread Information