Thread: New frogs

keller22

Post New frogs

i have 2 wood frogs that are sexualy mature can some one tell me the proper requirements needed for breading them i know i have 1 male and 1 female for shure

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New frogs

A large spacious vivarium with lots of hiding places and a good-sized water area. Your main problem will be conditioning them to breed (putting them through a real winter season) and triggering them to spawn. There is new evidence that frogs like this respond to phases of the moon combined with temperature and algal blooms to actually trigger spawning. All in all, not a realistic proposition. If you live within their native range and you have a garden, I suggest you make a pond out there, ensure the frogs have plenty of cover and just let them go - they'll do the rest.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

I have seen this species in vernal ponds that still ice on it. They are one of earliest breeders here in New England. They seem to thrive in the cold.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Wood frogs have similar requirements to Leopard frogs, I believe there is a thread on here that has been covering the topic in depth. I do know they are more terrestrial in nature than leopards, so may require more land with lots of hides. Growing up, I often caught them in the woods, not far from a water source by looking in drifts of leaf letter during the hot part of the day.

Like most frogs they are opportunistic predators, so feeding them should be pretty easy.

I believe a read somewhere that these frogs are one of the few with omnivorous tadpoles with cannabalism has been reported.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Thread Information