Thread: Identification....different species or what?

rach

Question Identification....different species or what?

Hey folks, I realise only a few of you are going to know anything about New Zealand captive frogs but I thought I'd ask the whole forum just for a wider scope.

I aquired some tadpoles, locally, and I was pretty certain they were Green and Gold Bell frogs, turns out I was right for the most part. I bought 5 all out of the same stock and they are now about 2 months old. 4 of them are unmistakably G&GB's but the fourth is half the size and either a Whistling tree frog or something else entirely.

I have had a Whistling Tree froglet before (not that long ago) and this guy is rather different in behaviour and looks. Once a froglet it was noticably smaller than the others, ok so diet as a taddy can be reponsible and size variables are vast in G&GB's at any age depending on environment etc, then there's the fact that it spent ALL of it's time on the substrate (pebbles) and not climbing the sides or resting on plants and wood like it's tank mates. It's only just recently started climbing up and doesn't ever go to the top of the tank. Very unusual for a Whistler. It doesn't catch it's food but will eat if I feed it by hand. And last of all is the colour it's very dark brown with hardly any markings at all. Is this guy a Whistler or maybe a malnourished (deformed???) G&GB? I am stumped, any thoughts on what the deal with this fella is? I'm going to have to move it soon as the others are rapidly growing in size and it will end up as a nice sized meal for one of them. if you want to view an image please be my guest and visit my albums as I have no idea what the URL is for my photos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

rach

Default Re: Identification....different species or what?

okay so I think I worked it out

Yep that worked

Paul Rust

Hi Rach, it looks like a whistler to me. It is certainly odd looking but still looks like a whistler.

rach

Yeah Paul, I'd have to agree. It certainly looks more Whistler than Green and Gold any how . It almost got eaten last night! I poked the other frog till it spat it out but I'll have to find another home for it now as I don't have any other whistlers.

Hi Rach
    I have Brown (Whistling) Tree frogs. Your frog has the same markings as a Whistler and the eyes are the same but Its head is a completely different shape maybe it's deformed. I had a deformed tadpole the skin on its stomach fell off and didn't regrow revealing its gills but now it's the biggest frog and is doing well. Check out my photo album and see if they match your frog hope this helps.
    Luke

Thread Information