Thread: Question about mice and frogs.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Roman

Default Question about mice and frogs.

Hey Guys,
    Everyone keeps saying that feeding mice to a frog is bad cuz of the fat content. I have a buddy that has had the same frog for 8 years now. Its a giant like you see in the pictures with a head the size of my fist. He feeds it 2 mice a week and has been feeding it rodents since he got it as a baby. His uncle stashed it in a bag coming back from a trip. His frog is active and doesn't bury itself all the time and sings with a big booming voice every night. ( except tuesdays, its Billy Bobs day off ) lol
    My question is, why are mice bad? I know in the ball python world people are so worried about exact proper care that they go to great lengths to keep everything exact. They go by popular myths and "expert" advice about their balls rather than common sense and researching on their own to see what the animal really needs. Im not criticizing, ive done it to, just making a point.
    Please give me some solid reasons why.

Stay Thirsty my friends.

onedge30

Default Re: Question about mice and frogs.

Quick and too the point. Frogs are not made to have a high fat diet. This usually leads to liver and kidney problems and early death.

All mouse diet also leads to a weakening of the bone structure. This is due to the lack of calcium in the diet. The frogs system then steals calcium from its bones to live.

pixiefrogman

Jeff is exactly right. Although the biggest male pyxie I've seen in person (11 inches SVL) was raised on mice.

im doubling my mice feeding to 4 a week i want that 11 incher! jk
    African Bullfrogs, Clawed Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Bearded Dragons,

Kevin1

Stashed it in a bag from...??
    It is without question frogs fed a rodent diet do grow to be bigger. Mice are far more nutritious than insects. It's just that frogs are not designed to eat mice. They don't deal well with mammalian tissue. I can't imagine a wild pyxie catching a field mouse..can you?

actaully i could see a mouse at waters edge drinking in the wet season and then you hear jaws music *!BAM!* one happy frog
    African Bullfrogs, Clawed Frogs, Salamanders, Newts, Bearded Dragons,

onedge30

Quote Originally Posted by onedge30 View Post
    Quick and too the point. Frogs are not made to have a high fat diet. This usually leads to liver and kidney problems and early death.

All mouse diet also leads to a weakening of the bone structure. This is due to the lack of calcium in the diet. The frogs system then steals calcium from its bones to live.
    David, I will admit to a problem with the second comment above. It could be wrong for pyxie frogs. I have seen problems with bones with a rodent diet in Iguanas that are supposed to be vegetarian. The problems with the high fat affected the absorption of calcium.

First comment, we totally agree on.

jelkins

Ceratophrys ornata consumes primarily vertebrates; stomach content analysis of thirty-four specimens from Uruguay included 78.5% anurans, 11.7% passerine birds, 7.7% rodents, and 0.3% snakes, leaving only 1.8% as "other" (Basso 1990).

jelkins

I believe that frogs make up the bulk of the diet for wild ABFs and horned frogs. One of the reasons they can grow so large due to 'perfect nutrition.'
    Last edited by jelkins; January 7th, 2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: correction

10. This member thanks jelkins for this post:

Greg M

Thanks Justin for the info from the ornata paper! I had read those figures somewhere, but couldn't find the source when I was writing the post... I was quite surprised to read that birds constitute a notable fraction of the diet! The field studies certainly indicate that frogs are a/the major component of the ornata diet in the wild (and insects seemingly are not).

In any event, with my own large frogs, I do feed mostly night-crawlers and Dubia roaches, with only very occasional rodents (out of an abundance of caution). I do, however, keep an eye on overall consumption and body-weight. IMHO, the fact that frogs can apparently develop corneal opacities and other health issues often attributed to rodent consumption when fed (to excess) a diet consisting only of insects argues that excessive caloric intake is sufficient (and presumably necessary) to cause these issues.

Thread Information