Thread: Frog rack

onedge30

Default Frog rack

Well, I got carried away with all the frogs. Here is my new metal wire rack filled with 10 gallon tanks and frogs. (pyxies and horned frogs)

The rack holds 12 - 10 gallon tanks with under tank heating and lights.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Jeff Kennedy

Default Re: Frog rack

Good stuff Jeff...Good stuff

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Very nice. I'm already out of control and your just putting more ideas into my head. I'm telling my wife on you!

onedge30

Yea, I am excited about the rack. All the frogs in one area. I can see them, feed them and they get light and heat.

@ Don - Oh, ideas huh? You should just see how over crowded my head is all the time!

By the way, there are more photos of the rack in my albums.

jaguilar15

Just a question, how often do you change out the substrate for the ones living in the 5-10 gallon

onedge30

Good question. I hope others will chime in to on this, but for me, I will change it completely about every two weeks. Now, with saying that, I am spot cleaning the substrate daily and changing water as needed.

The other thing I am trying to do is recycle the coco substrate. I pick it clean, wash it, dry it, sift it, then bake it. Anyone else recycling their substrate?

jaguilar15

Quote Originally Posted by onedge30 View Post
    Good question. I hope others will chime in to on this, but for me, I will change it completely about every two weeks. Now, with saying that, I am spot cleaning the substrate daily and changing water as needed.

The other thing I am trying to do is recycle the coco substrate. I pick it clean, wash it, dry it, sift it, then bake it. Anyone else recycling their substrate?
    Yeah i change mines about two weeks spot cleaning, taking out there poop haha. Well, it soudns good to recycle just because they never give you enough when you buy some. What's your method to recycling?

onedge30

Quote Originally Posted by onedge30 View Post
    That is how I recycle... lol. I pick it clean of any found waste when cleaning it from the tank. Then I soak it and ring it out. Air dry it on a plastic sheet outside. Sift it for more found waste. Bake the dried substrate for 30 min at around 225 in the oven. Them add water to use as needed.

Any thoughts?

jaguilar15

Baking the substrate doesn't make the house smell?

bshmerlie

"There's nothing like the smell of cooked soil in the morning...it smells like...Frogs!"

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by jaguilar15 View Post
    Baking the substrate doesn't make the house smell?
    Jeff, just awesome. When we finished the terrarium for our big-eyed tree frog last Sunday, our fourth terrarium, my wife said: no more frogs for awhile, please. And when i showed her your pics, she just looked at me saying: Eric, no.

Jaguilar: we bake our substrate once in awhile and it really doesn't have a pungent smell. My son will say that it smells like nature...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I have to do a major cleaning on the Whites enclosure. Stinking mosquitoes (at least I think they are) have now gone wild and the substrate is covered in them. I'll try saving as much of the substrate as I can but moss is gonna go for now.

Will baking the coco and jungle mix kill off any mosquitoes left in after I wash it out?

onedge30

@jaguil - I don't find there is really any smell from the cooking coco substrate. The temperature is low enough not to burn it and high enough to kill anything that may be in it.

@Don - I would think yes, that any eggs or bugs left in the soil would be killed by the heat.

@Eric - Sorry. LOL! Just think how easy it would be to put your whites tank on a rack like this. I am already thinking of setting up another rack with 4 - exo terra 18 x 18 x 24 tanks. Making the rack with just two levels and two tanks on each level. Mmmmm.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Amazing how they just bloom out of the clear blue, Had a few which I'm sure came in on the plants but they have been there for some time. Now, wow its crazy the numbers of them.

Thread Information