Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass Frogs

Viv

Default Glass Frogs

Is anyone keeping these beautiful frogs in captivity? I know that Understory Enterprises are keeping and breeding them but their tadpoles are not that far in development and they take quite some time as tadpoles. I believe that they are frogs that hang around streams so in captivity do you have a stream running through the tank? Is Mark Pepper a member of this forum because if he is then I have a couple questions for him? Thanks for any info. Also, if you have seen them in the wild could you tell me about their habitat? If you have pictures also, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Glass Frogs

I posted the same thing a week or so back, I'm not sure exactly. It seems that glass frogs are for the most part absent from the American trade unfortunately. I too would love to have these amazing frogs. There is a member from Costa Rica that posted to my thread, I believe he has seen them in their natural habitat. He is also a good source of captive info.

bshmerlie

Reptiles Excetera posted some Hula Punctatas for sale. They are not true glass frogs but they are very similar looking. They are also only $20 each as opposed to the several hundreds the true glass frogs are sure to command. But also remember none of these are beginner frogs including the Punctatas. The Punctatas are also wild caught which also brings in many other factors to considered.

Viv

Cheri- Yeah, I was on dendroboard when he posted it. I thought for a second that he was going out of buisness and then I realized that they were not true glass frogs.
    Thomas- True, they are absent from the American trade. On youtube, there is a scientist or something who has a reserve in Costa Rica. He has a couple videos on the frogs and the tank. He has tanks that have streams in them for the glass frogs. The tank isn't that big but is kinda tall. If you want to see the video, search glass frogs. The title says Brian something with CRARC or something.

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by Viv View Post
    Cheri- Yeah, I was on dendroboard when he posted it. I thought for a second that he was going out of buisness and then I realized that they were not true glass frogs.
    Thomas- True, they are absent from the American trade. On youtube, there is a scientist or something who has a reserve in Costa Rica. He has a couple videos on the frogs and the tank. He has tanks that have streams in them for the glass frogs. The tank isn't that big but is kinda tall. If you want to see the video, search glass frogs. The title says Brian something with CRARC or something.
    Understory Enterprises got their glass frogs from Brian.

Viv

How do you post links because I have a a link of a care sheet by that Brian person from the CRARC or whatever? I'll just right the link out. Here it is, http://www.reptilechannel.com/media/...ics-2.aspx.pdf

Viv

Wow, I managed to post a link!

John911

We had punctatas for about 2 months with no casualties yet. Put them in a heavily planted 18x18x24 exo and let them be. They have a pretty nice call.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by John911 View Post
    We had punctatas for about 2 months with no casualties yet. Put them in a heavily planted 18x18x24 exo and let them be. They have a pretty nice call.
    Great work, it is nice to see such a touchy species doing well.

Viv

Although hyla punctatas are very pretty, they are not true glass frogs. Do you have a water feature in that tank. I read somewhere that they needed relativily high humidity but good airflow.

bshmerlie

If you're looking for a true glass frog Understory Enterprises' wait list will probably be your best bet. I'm just waiting to hear what the price is going to be. I've already started the "glass frog savings fund". I think we're going to be scared when we hear the price. I'm sure no matter the price Tony will take 20. (Just playing with you Tony)

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    If you're looking for a true glass frog Understory Enterprises' wait list will probably be your best bet. I'm just waiting to hear what the price is going to be. I've already started the "glass frog savings fund". I think we're going to be scared when we hear the price. I'm sure no matter the price Tony will take 20. (Just playing with you Tony)
    Considering that they are working with two species and I want good-sized breeding groups of both, that isn't too far off from my plan. I've heard from a reliable source that they should be in the $150-200 range.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Considering that they are working with two species and I want good-sized breeding groups of both, that isn't too far off from my plan. I've heard from a reliable source that they should be in the $150-200 range.
    I contacted Understory and that's pretty much what they told me, in the $175-$225 price range.

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Your "reliable" source says $150-200. Thomas' "reliable" source says $175-225. I wouldn't be shocked if that price goes over $300 by the time they are released considering how long it will take them to produce sellable offspring. Supply and demand. The demand will be pretty high when they are first made available in the hobby and they are the only Supply. Hopefully they first go to people who have a legitimate chance of breeding them. And by no means do I put myself in that category, I just would like to see them more readily available which means we would need to increase our number of breeders (suppliers).

John911

Quote Originally Posted by Viv View Post
    Although hyla punctatas are very pretty, they are not true glass frogs. Do you have a water feature in that tank. I read somewhere that they needed relativily high humidity but good airflow.
    In this tank, no just a large dish. However it is planted heavy enough that we can not find them until night time. 5 of them were in, and around the water last night. Not sure where the 6th was. We plan on redoing their exo-terra soon.

Viv

I got an email from Understory Enterprises that said they would be in the $175-$225 also. But who knows.

Viv

Man. I would love to be able to buy 20 glass frogs. That be awesome. I don't have enough money or space.

pez

Hi, glass frogs are nice although you almost never see their interior, I dont keep this frogs but a cousin does and has 2 species Hyalinobatrachium talamancae and Cochranella albomaculata, they are easy to maintain in captivity if you give them plants hanging over a pond or stream. I think that the glass frogs all of you are planning to buy are so expensive for 2 things, 1) they are new to the hobbie (well, at least in the United States) and 2) their tadpoles take too much time to develop.

The Brian you are talking about is Brian Kubicki and he created the CRARC ( Costa Rican Amphibian Research Center) and also wrote the book about costa rican leaf frogs and costa rican glass frogs Costa Rican Amphibians

Any question you have on glass frogs just ask.

20. 2 members thank pez for this post:

Viv

Have you seen them in the wild? If you have and you have taken photos, can you please post them? Also, if you have pictures of the tanks, could you also post them? I might be asking to much and yes it is Brian Kubicki of the CRARC.

pez

Yes i have seen them in the wild, here are some photos but they are not my photos, I might get some photos of the tank and the frogs next Friday or so, because I am going to my cousins house.

Hyalinobatrachium talamancae

Hyalinobatrachium fleischmanni

Cochranella granulosa

I almost forget, remember that this frogseat only when it is totally dark, no lights at all so you have to feed them at night.
    Last edited by pez; January 4th, 2011 at 11:03 PM.

23. 2 members thank pez for this post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information