Thread: Big Eyed Tree Frogs

Scott Morgan

Default Big Eyed Tree Frogs

I have a chance to aquire 3-5 LTC (6 month import) BETF and am wondering the proper setup for these frogs. They seem to burrow in the substrate at the current location.

It's kept similar to a Grey/Copes Tree with moss and coconut fiber with a shallow water dish and plenty of purchases.

Are these bred in the US in any number?

Any theories on the breeding of this species? I understand they are a sub montane African species so possibly dry/wet with a cool period?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Big Eyed Tree Frogs

Yes they are kept like Gray Tree Frogs but a little warmer - late 70s, early 80s (25-30 degrees C). They shouldn't burrow if provided with lots of perches and hiding places.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
    It's kept similar to a Grey/Copes Tree with moss and coconut fiber with a shallow water dish and plenty of purchases.
    Don't you mean perches or does this frog have a credit card? If so whats his limit? LOL

As far as I know all Leptopelis frogs are wild caught imports from eastern Africa. The three most common species imported are vermiculatus, uluguruensis, and flavomaculatus. I have a vermiculatus, but not for long. I promised him to another member. I do keep him like I would a gray treefrog.

We have a member here that is from South Africa, maybe he can shed a light on their mating habits.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have a pair of these charmers, and I suspect that burrowing occurs at lower humidity levels; when the humidity's up, they are usually at the topmost corner of the glass, but I have seen them burrow here and there. Another possibility that I have read is that burrowing/climbing behavior is dependent on which exact species one has.

All I know about breeding, other than that it's not been done (yet) in captivity, is the following: "As far as is known, a pair while in amplexus burrows backward into damp soil of the bans along water and there deposit a small number of large eggs. There are no large breeding congregations. Embryonic and larval development are slow. When hatched, the larvae wriggle into the water close byu, often to jungle streams, but also into any small watering hole."

[The above excerpt is from The Completely Illustrated Atlas of Reptiles and Amphibians for the Terrarium. Ed. Jerry G. Walls. Trans. U.E. Friese. T.F.H. Publications inc.; New Jersey, 2000. (493)]

I imagine that, to breed these guys, one would have to dig up tadpoles from the soil and place them in a breeder tank that had a wet bank along a water body that they could drop into when they are ready to. I've heard a lot of mating calls, but I haven't yet witnessed amplexus. It's possible, though, that I have dead little tadpoles in the soil of my tank. While I would love to rear tadpoles, I don't want to tear up my tank when I don't even know where I'm looking.

Good luck to you. Please share whatever info and experiences you come across; there's not too much reading material on these little guys.

Scott Morgan

I just brought them home tonight. I am still researching specific specie information now. I could only find 2 though. I will bring the 3rd home Wednesday when I can dig it out.

I believe (pretty sure but not 100%) that these were imports from Tanzania.

One (the larger of the two) is already calling. The smaller one is emerald green while the larger is brown with green mottling.

The humidity in the tank was nearly 80% but they still stayed burrowed in the moss at the store. Possibly the bottom of the moss was slightly warmer then the top section.

Either way I will update as needed once I find some answers through either research or experience.

stickytoes

Hi there,
    I have 2 of these guys and I've found the more sub, the more burrowing. Less sub=less burrowing. One of mine likes to climb at night, so I'd suggest a tall tank. They also love soaking in their water dish! I've even seen experienced big-eyed owners use paper towels for substrate to encourage the frogs to explore their enclosure more. One last thing: mine enjoy sleeping in vine-like plants on the walls of their tank. Best of luck, hope you enjoy these frogs as much as I do!
    ~Lauren

Thread Information