Thread: Pipa pipa as pets.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Pipa pipa as pets.

I see Pipa pipa for sale quite a bit. I've been fascinated by these frogs ever since I saw them at the National Aquarium in DC. I was wondering how these guys are as captives?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pipa pipa as pets.

Suriname toads are quite hardy and can be kept in a similar manner as African clawed frogs. You will need a larger aquarium though, allowing at least 15 gallons of water per frog (bigger the better). They should be kept at a temperature of 72-75 (F). They are excellent feeders (fish, worms, etc) and may take Tetra's Repto-Min without too much problem. You don't want to mix frogs and fish, these frogs love fish! Use a non-abrasive substrate (smooth gravel). Some sort of filtration system is a must and make sure the water is conditioned. I've used Stress-Coat without any problems. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

4. This member thanks tgampper for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Cool, thank you Terry. I seriously considering getting one of these guys. The more bizarre the frog, the more I like it and these guys are about as bizarre as they get. Would a large plastic container make a good aquarium for these guys? What kind of filtration do they need?

Animalnstinct

I'm a huge fan of the pipa pipa as well and I'm currently in the process of gathering everything I need to house a few.

As for filtration I'm going to be using a under gravel filter, but you could always use a sponge filter or something else. For my setup I have a 90 gallon tank with the under gravel filter, smooth gravel on that, then river rocks on that. I read that using live plants was a waste as the pipa pipa would just rip everything up so I bought a few fake plants and am currently looking for something to float on the top of the water such as possibly Mongolia leaves.

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm thinking maybe a 58 quart tinted plastic storage box with a sponge filter. Because I live literally in the middle of the woods (seriously, it's 10 minutes to the nearest town), I have an over abundance of oak leaves. Are these ok to put in the tank? Also, is sand a good substrate for these guys?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tjtreefrog View Post
    Cool, thank you Terry. I seriously considering getting one of these guys. The more bizarre the frog, the more I like it and these guys are about as bizarre as they get. Would a large plastic container make a good aquarium for these guys? What kind of filtration do they need?
    A large, plastic container will work nicely. I keep most of my frogs in Rubbermaid. Make sure the lid is secure and allows for good ventilation. A large, sponge bio-filter will work, but a siphon is needed to skim the bottom for waste. They are truly bizarre frogs. Some people call them "star-fingered" frogs because of the sensors located on the tips of their fingers. Even though, they are related to the clawed frogs of Africa, they do not have claws, but are tongueless. I don't use a substrate.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Animalnstinct View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the pipa pipa as well and I'm currently in the process of gathering everything I need to house a few.

As for filtration I'm going to be using a under gravel filter, but you could always use a sponge filter or something else. For my setup I have a 90 gallon tank with the under gravel filter, smooth gravel on that, then river rocks on that. I read that using live plants was a waste as the pipa pipa would just rip everything up so I bought a few fake plants and am currently looking for something to float on the top of the water such as possibly Mongolia leaves.
    Looks like you did your homework Plant material that falls in the water will rot creating a "blackwater" biotope, like one of the tributaries of the Amazon, known as the Rio Negro. Check out this website for more info on "blackwater":
    South American Blackwater Biotope Aquarium Setup

Thread Information