Thread: Frustrated!

Jace

Default Frustrated!

I am currently in the midst of setting up a 55 gallon vivarium and was very excited to try my hand at rubber frogs. However, after three weeks of waiting, I am told that I am not able to bring these frogs in. I live in B.C. Canada. I would like to try something new, yet not out of my knowledge level. I am having a very hard time finding what is available in Canada, what can be shipped to Canada with the least amount of stress, and what can be guaranteed to be captive bred in Canada. Does anyone have any advice or current sites that can help?? I very rarely see anything other than fire-bellied toads, white's tree frog and pyxie frogs available.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Frustrated!

From what I have read so far, much like here in the states- it varies wildly from Province to Province.

This is a hefty read, but this link may help you figure out what is legal and what is not. As for Canadian dealers, That is something I have not seen much of on the web since Vancouver and Toronto enacted their ultra strict blanket laws.

Jace

Thanks Johnny. I'll check out the link. I might just accept the fact and get some more fire-bellies. Love the little guys anyway, so why not have a colony? Argh Canada and their laws!!

Kurt

Well I am still holding out hope that you get your rubber frogs. I love mine and would like more. Actually I would like to have all 5 species in my collection, but for now I have to settle for two.

Jace

Unfortunately, it is not meant to be. All species of this frog are currently not allowed in B.C. In fact, some members of government are trying to ban ALL amphibians and reptiles unless they are native to the area/country. I will fight that tooth and nail if they try!! I can possible get some mantellas and spadefoots, but they are even restricting those right now. Because of a few knuckleheaded pet owners, the rest of us have to suffer. They won't even bring in pyxies anymore, because of the size they can get. Sigh...

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Are you sure about that last part? It's pretty hard for me to believe they won't allow Pyxicephalus in Canada.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

Well if they won't let Phrynomantis in, they certainly won't let Pyxicephalus in. Not that either type of frog has a chance of establishing itself in Canada.

Jace

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Are you sure about that last part? It's pretty hard for me to believe they won't allow Pyxicephalus in Canada.
    Sorry, John, I worded that wrong. I only deal with one pet store, as they take excellent care to bring in captive bred animals and provide the best, natural care for all the pets. I won't buy live animals from any where else, and they have decided not to bring in Pyxie frogs because alot of their customers want small tree frogs. However, they have already told me that if I wanted another one, they would special order it for me.

Kurt

They won't special order rubber frogs?

Nationality
    [United States]

Canada has some of the strictest herp laws in North America. Vancouver, BC is notorious for there Nazi like Anti Herp laws. A few years ago, Canada was pretty much lawless involving herps, but as stated before, a few screw ups by horrible pet owners has resulted in strict blanket laws in BC with the rest of the Provinces following suit. The main issue at hand was the colonization of an island off Vancouver by imported newts escaped from a school class room.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Kurt

Blanket laws are so unfair and wrong. Rubber frogs and African bullfrogs have no chance of establishing themselves in Canada and thus should be allowed.

Jace

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    They won't special order rubber frogs?
    Much to my great disappointment, no. I asked for a list of available amphibians, but because they are still "working" on what is acceptable or not, there is nothing available. The gentleman I deal with basically said compile my own list of what I might like to try, give it to him, and he will try and find out if they will allow it across the border. The only way I might be able to get rubber frogs is if I register for it-but I would have no idea how to go about doing that. I am trying to get more information, but it's frustrating because no two people have the same answer.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by SludgeMunkey View Post
    The main issue at hand was the colonization of an island off Vancouver by imported newts escaped from a school class room.
    What kind of newt?
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

You should turn to the authorities for an answer. Here in Massachusetts I know what is illegal and not illegal. This information can be found MA F&W's web site. There has to be an equivilent of this where you are.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    What kind of newt?
    Gah1 I can no longer find the article. I cannot even remember which island it was. I'll keep looking.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Thread Information