Thread: Pacman flipping over? :(

Crohnsaholic

Default Pacman flipping over? :(

Hey everyone my name is Brandon and I am new to the frog forums.

I've had my pacman for a little over 4-6 months. Just recently he has started to flip over on his backside, unable to get back up. So I always just flip him back over, he's fine and eats and everything. Does anyone have any idea why he does this and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

jjmorton13

Default Re: Pacman flipping over? :(

Other people have posted similar problems with their frogs, and it seem that it never ends well. Having never had that problem, I can't give out advice to fix it besides that it sounds like a trip to the local exotics vet to me. Best of luck.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have never heard of frogs flipping on their back until I worked at the zoo as an amphibian keeper. Each morning I would come in and find several frogs (Dusky gopher frogs [Rana sevosa]) on their backs. I would flip them around and they would resume normal behavior. None of the behavioral scientists at the zoo could come up with a reasonable explanation. Eventually, the frogs settled down and the problem went away. This type of behavior could be the result of the frog "playing dead" because it is frightened either real or perceived.

On the negative side, it could be a symptom of a neurological disorder caused by a virus or parasite. If this is the case, you will need to seek an exotic vet. As long as your frog continues normal behavior, I probably wouldn't worry to much. Unfortunately, if flipping is a symptom of a disease, there isn't much hope that your frog will survive.

I hope your frog gets better.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

onedge30

Look up Lamisil AT treatment for chytrid fungus. Search this 'pacman frogs' category.

good luck

volcom19961995

Unfortunately I had the same problem one night with my Pacman frog. When I found him he was spastically jumping and flipping onto his back. The next mourning I checked on him and he was dead.

Crohnsaholic

Well I've noticed it's because he doesn't use his front legs when he tries to hop around. He just kinda pushes himself along with his back legs. His front legs are functional, because I see him move them when he flips over, he swings around wildly and what not.

volcom19961995

I would take him to a exotics vet ASAP

Thread Information