Thread: Seeding springtails

clownonfire

Default Seeding springtails

Hi all,

I've seeded springtails in the past in our terrariums by adding them directly on the soil.

Do I need to remove any other substrate (coconut husk/ and or forest mix - depending on the terrarium) and add them directly on the soil, or can I simply add them on the substrates and they'll find their way?

Thanks,

Eric

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Eric Walker

Default Re: Seeding springtails

just dump them in they will make there way down. Sometimes i just grab a cupfull of media from a spring tub and dump it in and sometime I will put in food that I can pick up and tap off.

Its much harder to get them established in a viv that allready has frogs in it because they will get pick of pretty quick.

wesleybrouwer

Just put some leaf litter on top so they can hide underneath ,
    I always have an established culture of springtails and woodlice in my terrariums.

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by wesleybrouwer View Post
    Just put some leaf litter on top so they can hide underneath ,
    I always have an established culture of springtails and woodlice in my terrariums.
    Thank you, Eric and Wesley. For the thumbs, leaf litter checked. For the 35G big eyed tree frog terrarium, I'm less worried as he wont go after the springtails.

poison beauties

Chances are Eric they big eyed tree frogs wont eat the springs. They are nocturnal frogs and they dont spend much time in the leaf litter. Springs are more regularly eaten by the terrestrial smaller frogs like darts and mantella. They are still good for cleaning the viv floor though.

Michael

clownonfire

Quote Originally Posted by poison beauties View Post
    Chances are Eric they big eyed tree frogs wont eat the springs. They are nocturnal frogs and they dont spend much time in the leaf litter. Springs are more regularly eaten by the terrestrial smaller frogs like darts and mantella. They are still good for cleaning the viv floor though.

Michael
    Michael, how are you? Yes, that was exactly my point. I've seeded springtails to help clean the BETF's natural terrarium. Thanks!

poison beauties

Doing great its game day. If you need help with a list of feeders both common and not for those frogs I can help you out. A varied diet along with supplements are a huge bonus over just feeding out gut loaded crickets.

Michael

clownonfire

Doing great its game day. If you need help with a list of feeders both common and not for those frogs I can help you out. A varied diet along with supplements are a huge bonus over just feeding out gut loaded crickets.

Michael
    By all means, Michael! I've been feeding our BETF similar food as we have been feeding our American Green Tree frog: gut loaded crickets and mealworms, which is basically what is the easiest things to find in Montreal's supply stores. But two new stores have opened up with a larger variety of food.

Anything else you recommend? And enjoy the game...

poison beauties

I have a few friends up there so I will send you a list today of all of whats up there and decently easy to get a hold of along with where you can order it. Id ship it all up there to you but I haven't done the work to get my export license yet.

Michael

clownonfire

I have a few friends up there so I will send you a list today of all of whats up there and decently easy to get a hold of along with where you can order it. Id ship it all up there to you but I haven't done the work to get my export license yet.

Michael
    Michael, that's really nice! Thank you. For the mealworms BTW, it's only once in awhile as I know it's harder to digest because of it's harder shell.

Thread Information