Thread: Bulking Up Pacific Chorus Frogs?

Kaddock

Default Bulking Up Pacific Chorus Frogs?

Hi! My poor little chorus frog is sooo skinny... She was eating fine despite her facial abnormality (see http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...html#post40670 this has never gone away). I know she is eating a bit because I see her stomach change sizes, but, in contrast, the male is very fat. What can I do? I have offered her house flies, blue bottle flies, crickets, mealworms... I am thinking of trying blue bottle maggots, will they take maggots? Help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Leefrogs

Default Re: Bulking Up Pacific Chorus Frogs?

I'm new. Just thaught I'd voice up. Wax worms(small ones) are fatty. Sounds like your male is eating all the food. Beautiful frogs.

Tony

Have you had a fecal sample checked by a vet for parasite overload?

Kaddock

Well, I would take some feces to the vet, but I can't really afford to drop $60 on a visit right now... She seems to have been eating a bit more, but I can't say for sure.

Greg M

Although a vet visit may not be practical, you might treat with Panacur (for worms) anyway. You can just dust on the food (see Paul's Frog First Aid article). Works great, with no discernible ill effects.

Kaddock

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    Although a vet visit may not be practical, you might treat with Panacur (for worms) anyway. You can just dust on the food (see Paul's Frog First Aid article). Works great, with no discernible ill effects.
    Thanks, I will give it a shot!

Kaddock

Well... I have updates. The frog seems to be eating more regularly now, assuming I can tell from its size. It's still only half as fat as the other one, which is very round! I gave her a full treatment session of baytril. I'm not sure if that helped, but it didn't seem to hurt. Now we've got further issues! The frog is so listless that it barely moves. If she is prodded, she will hop away, but doesn't seem to mind it she lands up-side down. Seriously, she'll just stay there!

The panacur arrived in the mail today, and I will use that next. Do you think that the worms could do this? I found her laying upside down a few minutes ago, liked she tried to hop and landed badly again. She does the same act when landing on her stomach over a branch or something. She'll just chill. Creepy and sad!

Thread Information